Embodied Carbon Calculations and Sustainability Tools

Asemblance

Question

Hi All,

1- It would be great to have a plug-in/ module/ built in functionality, which would help us to calculate embodied carbon in our Vectorworks models. (Or by exporting our Vectorworks models/data from our models). For instance, Hawkins Brown have created a Revit plug-in to help with this. Is there a Vectorworks equivalent in the pipe-line?

2- As above, but for life cycle costing/ whole life carbon modelling

3- As above, but for linking Specification of materials to Vectorworks models

4- Further instruction and development of the Energos tool.

Please also see my earlier related post (a bit more background info, and questioning what tools and workflows are already available..)

Thanks!

A

• Like 4

7 answers to this question

In both our day to day work in renovations, & my volunteer work on heritage issues this is an issue I've made the argument for embodied energy for at least 15 years now. It started with keeping & repairing or repurposing old windows and has moved on to other topics. Would be really helpful to make the case with a tool in our workflow. Great idea @Asemblance !

• Like 1

Hi,

How far have we gotten with this? I understand that VW 2021 now has the new 'Material feature' which can add more relevant data to every component but i haven't heard or seen anything to really push this segment further other than this new feature? 

It would be absolutely amazing if VW had the ICE database available for materials to utilise throughout.

As right now Revit seems to be in the lead here and our company don't really want to utilise another software package when VW has this potential sadly if this doesn't progress we will have too.

Is there going to be an update here?

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi everyone - apologies for the long silence but in short I wasn't too happy with what we had at the moment and wanted to have something more substantial before I emerge above the parapet.

We’re happy to share that Vectorworks now has an integrated Embodied Carbon Calculator. Complementary with the Materials workflow introduced in 2021, it allows accurate reporting of quantities and assessment of Carbon Critical elements. 

The calculator uses the most comprehensive and industry standard guidance available in the UK AEC sector, as the foundation for the assessment methodology (RICS: Whole Life Carbon Assessment for the Built Environment,2017 and RIBA: Embodied and Whole Life Carbon Assessment for Architects, 2018).  It also derives material Properties for Density and Embodied Carbon Coefficients from University of Bath Inventory of Carbon and Energy (ICE) Database V3, 2019.

Further improvements are expected in the oncoming months as we add further automation. 

For more information and a demonstration of the calculator, please get in touch with me at lstefanovic@vectorworks.net 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, E|FA said:

Unfortunately, not all objects can receive Material attributes.  Is there a way to comprehensively assess the total embodied carbon in a project if only some of the modeled objects are assigned materials? 

You're right - most importantly I think those objects would be Windows and Doors. They are accounted for in the calculator separately, based on few inputs added to Data pane in Door/Window settings, where you would input glazing and frame material.

In short, any other object could be added in a similar fashion, but just off the top of my head I think ones used most often in architectural projects would be accounted for with Materials apart from those mentioned above. Also any free modelled geometry, such as Extrudes, Extrude Along Paths or Generic Solids will also have Materials. 

• Like 2

Hi All,

Delighted to say that VECC is now available for download - you can find the link here:

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/page/view.php?id=2508

Please let me know your thoughts and feedback, it would be very useful in the further development of the tool. A webinar on the topic is in plan, but I'm happy to schedule some time to go through how VECC works. 

Happy Embodied Carbon calculations!

• Like 1