VW2020 crashes

MikeA

Question

My VW2020 keeps crashing. I'm running Mac Catalina 10.15.3 on an iMac 27inch, Retina 5K, 2017. Graphics is a Radeon Pro 580.

Have the latest service packs installed for VW 2020.

Doing the simplest tasks in VW crashes it. It's crashed on me 4 times in the last 20 minutes.  I'm not doing any heavy rendering, just very simple drafting. Mostly 2D.

I've spoken to VW tech support and they believe it's a graphics card issue. AMD cannot help because they say Apple graphics card updates are in the Apple Software. Apple says there isn't a graphics card update.

I'm not a power user, but this is killing me that it keeps crashing.  The one common error message I see is a Graphics Kernel error. Which makes me think it's a graphics/display issue.

In Tools-Options-Vectorworks preferences, I've set the 3D conversion  to Low.  And 3D Rotation and Retain Rendering Model are both in the middle.

In the Display settings, I've set the Navigation Graphics to: Best Compatibility.

I'm at a loss and need help.

5 answers to this question

Are you using an external display, or just the built in display?

I'm not a Mac genius, but I've seen things like this in the past and this has usually helped me:  Try booting in safe mode.

That will isolate any incompatible extensions.  If the crashes go away, then you can try enabling extensions one by one until you find the culprit.

If that doesn't help, it might be interesting to check for a hardware issue.

It is such a minefield of conflicting information/machine specs/software etc....

The best solution I have found when the programme becomes unstable (very rare nowadays, thankfully) has been to Reset your User preferences. This guide will help you do it relatively easily.

11 hours ago, michaelk said:

Are you using an external display, or just the built in display?

I'm not a Mac genius, but I've seen things like this in the past and this has usually helped me:  Try booting in safe mode.

That will isolate any incompatible extensions.  If the crashes go away, then you can try enabling extensions one by one until you find the culprit.

If that doesn't help, it might be interesting to check for a hardware issue.

Hi Michaelk.

I'm using the built-in display, not external monitors.  Attempting to boot in safe mode now.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:19 AM, MikeA said:

Hi Michaelk.

I'm using the built-in display, not external monitors.  Attempting to boot in safe mode now.

I've rebooted in safe mode...fuddled in VW for about 20-30 minutes.  Opened a few other programs simultaneously.  Seems to be Ok.  So I shut down and restarted in standard mode. So far so good.  Maybe VW just needed a safe mode reboot?

Thanks for your help.