TEXT ORIGIN

ScottLebsack

Question

Text has always been a headache in any drafting software I've used, one would assume it isn't easy... But there are a few things that would be helpful.

We've done a good job with our principals recently. We're moving away from some of our duplicitave notation and more into annotation in viewports, However there are still some instances where notation on design layers could prevent the need for duplicate annotation, if it behaved more consistently using viewport scaling. The most common instances are contour labels and spot elevations. I've setup a proposed contour label style with the origin set to bottom center, figuring when I scaled the text, it would scale from the origin, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I end up with contour labels way to far away from contour lines. How does text scaling function, so I can solve this issue.

3 answers to this question

I think text scaled in a viewport (using advanced viewport settings) scales the text from it's centre point - not from it's insertion point. For contours I would suggest using a tight fill and placing it centred on the contour line like this. When scaled it will stay on the line. For this example I tweaked the text's fill opacity.

image.thumb.png.587cb899ac792bf1be19ea4bcecde0e8.png

Edited by Boh

Then another work around would be to do as I suggested but put a return with a space after the text. The text object would be a double line piece of text centred on the line but the actual letters of the text would be above the line.