Multiple viewing options for plants

skeyshubber

Question

Hi,

Queston 1: Can a single plant instance be viewed with a 2D symbol in plan view, a 3d 'generated' conceptual view and with an image prop for a more realistic view?  

Question 2: Can a single plant instance have multiple image props for seasonal shifts? 

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

5 answers to this question

A1.  No, Plants and other symbol like objects have only a Top/Plan (and now isometric views) and a 3D view. See a possible work around in A2.

A2. Yes, you can use different classes for the summer/winter (or other) versions you want and then set the class visibilities to get what you want. You could also put a "generated" version in a different class and use that when necessary.

• Like 1

@Pat Stanford thanks for chiming in.

Do the 3D plants have seasonal images /classes included automatically? 

To achieve what I’m requesting would the workflow resemble creating a copy of each plant instance and pasting a ‘generated’ Version on top of it with the visibility being controlled within classes? 

I don't use plants very often, so hopefully someone who is a regular with Landmark will chime in.

I don't think you want to edit the plant instances. Rather you want to edit the plant (symbol) definition. Put objects in each of the different "modes" you want in different classes. Then when you want to show Summer, have the winter and 'generated' classes set to invisible.

I seem to vaguely remember that some of the plants did have seasonal differences, but I really don't know.  @Eric Gilbey, PLA can you comment on this?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

VB Visual plants have built-in seasonal representations, however they are heavy memory wise so should be used judiciously. You can include an image prop for each season, but as pat says, they should be on separate classes to be able to switch out the seasons in viewport class settings. I’ve not tried this, but theoretically, this should work.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, you can have several different looks to the 2D and 3D for the same plant style. Just create the plant with the 3D mesh graphics and then go in to 'edit 3D graphics' and add the Image Prop (the easiest is to copy one from another plant that you like). Then you just have to create different classes for the different looks - that's how you control what is visible.

If you want to, you can have several seasonal Image props for the same plant, just make sure you give them different classes.

This way you can then use the same plant style for everything from sketchy concepts to final renderings (instead of having different trees for different purposes) and you don't have to worry about counting 'the same tree' several times in a worksheet. Draw it once...