VW12: Live Sections

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for the fellow who is looking for information on live sectioning in VW12. He will do a search and find this thread.

Chris, may I suggest that you start a new Topic. I cannot understand what you are saying in this one. Perhaps the name of your new Topic will help me to understand what you are trying to say.

What I do know is that it has nothing to do with live sectioning.

Regarding Rotated Views:

I recently discussed this in some detail with a high-level NNA engineer. The current work-around leaves you with a crick in the neck from working on a portion of the building that is not square with the snap grid. I suggested that the angled section of the building could be aligned with a second user-defined snap grid.

I have downloaded the VectorBits tool, but haven't had time to try it out. However, I suspect it might have some of the same limitations of another Rotate Drawing tool on VectorDepot a few years back. That older tool temporarily rotated all elements of the drawing relative to the single snap grid. Then you had to rotate back, and many things could go wrong in the process. Two or more snap grids, similar to the 3D, would be a simpler solution.

If NNA includes a Rotate Drawing tool in a future issue, I suspect we will still have to use layerlinks. But the advantage will be that the angled part of the building is square with the snap grid, and with the drafter's head. That way you won't have to rotate it in your head.

When I first read about Live Sections, I envisioned automatic Wall Sections. Unfortunately, The new tool in VW12 only cuts a section thru the whole 3D model as a Cross Section or Building Section. There is no detail in the walls. This is a nice addition, but it's not like the ArchiCAD sections.

JHEarcht - you can rotate the snap grid and move its origin to where you want in 2D.

To define a rotated snap grid just double click on Grid Snap on the constraints palette and then set your grid rotation by either the exact angle or by drawing a line. You can do this as many times as you want.

To relocate the origin temporarily use Page/Set Origin or drag from the top LH corner of the drawing window (the little symbol located at the junction of the two rulers). If you don't use the origin set at the centre of the drawing as your default it would be best to define your current origin by placing a 2D locus at this point and locking it in place. This makes it easy to redefine your origin later as you have something to snap to.

[This topic has strayed from its original intent - perhaps the moderators should consider splitting it into its separate areas of debate so that it makes sense to any new viewers.]

[ 10-17-2005, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

Some comments on the ideal graphic view of building elements in the Live Sections:

- Design sections do not require much information.

- Construction sections do.

Therefore in the Construction section scenario:

- A wall should also show the component elements that it is constructed of. Therefore a cavity brick wall should show as a cavity brick wall and a window with a raking brick sill should show the raking brick sill.

- A floor made up of timber boarding, timber joists and a plasterboard ceiling under should show this way in section.

Roofs and footings are probaby going to be a bit more difficult unless the elements have actually been modelled.

I can see that much of the construction detail will have to be drawn manually over the top of the sections, and to me this is an acceptable trade-off. I assume that the red 'cut' fill shown in the example can be toggled off and on so that in design sections you can have it visible and in construction sections it can be replaced with meaningful 2D linework.

We really need more information on the Live Section capability so that we can understand what has been implemented, and therefore what we will be dealing with.

[ 10-17-2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

Interpreting the words in the Whats new in 12 document a Live Section is a section through the model which will automatically update as the model changes.

The model becomes the source of the views 'on paper'. ie. Plans, Elevations, Sections, Perspectives etc.. This will take a lot of the tedium out of generating these.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by mike m oz:

I assume that the red 'cut' fill shown in the example can be toggled off and on so that in design sections you can have it visible and in construction sections it can be replaced with meaningful 2D linework.

The cut surface gets its properties from a class which is specified by the live section. So you can make a section surface class with heavy, light, or no lines, and hatched, pattern, solid, or no fill. Each live section can use a different class for that section surface.

quote:

Originally posted by mike m oz:

JHEarcht - you can rotate the snap grid and move its origin to where you want in 2D.

In VW 11.5.1 on WinXP the Grid dialog allows you to change the angle of the Reference Grid but not the Snap Grid. However, that dialog would be a good place to add the ability to set-up multiple snap grids on various angles. Then we could align the angled portion of a building with a snap grid on the same angle relative to the default grid.

Works on a Mac - I'm not sure why it doesn't on your Wintel machine. Are you sure you are not setting the snap grid as if it is the reference grid?

I will concede that the whole process could work better and there should be the capability to assign a temporary user origin, leaving the actual drawing origin fixed. Perhaps the rotateble UCS people have a case.