All Workgroup folders visible in nested Recource Manager windows

Sebastiaan

Question

Hi All,

I have all my recourses in a workgroup folder.

For a long time I was not able to see those files if for instance I did a replace symbol from the Object info Palette or other nested RM windows.

I am able to see and use my files in the normal Recourse manager.

Recently I found out that vw has placed folders in my Workgroup Library folder named: "Objects - Ent Truss, Objects- Architecture etcetera". And I found out that files in these folders are visible in nested RM's. 

So for now I have put all my files in the folder; "Objects - Ent Truss". However I would like them to be able to be in my own folder structure. So all workgroup files in the Library folder are visible everywere in each RM window.

Can this be made possible, or am I perhaps missing something here?

Regards,

Sebastiaan

Edited by Sebastiaan
  • Like 1

5 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

If you mimic the folder structure and folder names found in your Vectorworks User Data and Preferences Folder, then those resources will show up in 'nested RM windows' (Resource Selectors). 

See this article: Creating custom resource libraries from Vectorworks Help for more info. 

I know. That is what I said in the request. 

The request is that all files in the libraries folder become visible in nested RM’s. I do not want my files in those sub folders. 

I also wanted a flatter file structure so I didn't have to drill down so much to access our symbols in RM.  We've set up our template so we don't use more than 2-3 of the tool boxes.  Too much clicking!   My solution was to create a separate blank .vwx file for each "category" and save it in a Libraries folder within a Workgroup folder on our network.  In User Folder tab of User Preferences, I added the path to the Workgroup folder.  To see the files (and everytime after a VW Library Update), I have to restart vw2020, open any file and refresh the Workgroup library.  THEN the Workgroup files show up.  Yes, VW will populate the Workgroup folder with all the empty folders, jic you want to use those files for a particular tool or keep to their file organization structure.  They don't show up unless there's a file in them.

3 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I also wanted a flatter file structure so I didn't have to drill down so much to access our symbols in RM.  We've set up our template so we don't use more than 2-3 of the tool boxes.  Too much clicking!   My solution was to create a separate blank .vwx file for each "category" and save it in a Libraries folder within a Workgroup folder on our network.  In User Folder tab of User Preferences, I added the path to the Workgroup folder.  To see the files (and everytime after a VW Library Update), I have to restart vw2020, open any file and refresh the Workgroup library.  THEN the Workgroup files show up.  Yes, VW will populate the Workgroup folder with all the empty folders, jic you want to use those files for a particular tool or keep to their file organization structure.  They don't show up unless there's a file in them.

I would be apprehensive to change the user folder to the same location as the workgroup folder. The user folder also holds the licensing information files etc. I's rather have that hidden somewhere in the application folder. 

My workaround was to place an 'alias' quicklink from my personal workgroup library folder and I put that quicklink in one of the VW specified folders. That way I can now always acces my own folder structure in the Resource Selector (with one extra click). But I believe that difference between the RM and the RS should not exist.