VW Bugs?

PhilDon

Question

Hi,
I have been using vectorworks for about 2 or 3 weeks now. I'm essentially educating myself prior to a potential purchase.

I'm actually finding the software quite buggy and not entirely intuitive, but am forging ahead and getting used to it.

I accept that many issues might just be user error, but this is latest one is just daft.

I have all my open layers set 'show others, so I should be able to see them ... yet no matter what view I use, the screen refreshes showing only the selected layer, then wipes and shows the top view of the doors layer only. In the screen grab you can see that I have a perspective view set, yet only the doors show.

Maybe I have checked the wrong box somewhere or set something up wrong, but I don't think so.

Is this a known bug?

I'm also experiencing erratic viewports, when I select top, the view shows are right(but rotated 90 degrees, when I select bottom, it shows as back etc, this can't be right ...

I'm using a fairly powerful 3D PC workstation, but it seems to run very slowly compared to Cinema 4D ... is the Mac version of VW more stable?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

2136677047_VWbugs.thumb.JPG.6720f2c9c7fed97385cb9824fee521aa.JPG

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It looks like you have Unified View turned off. Trying the View > Unified view menu item to turn it on. This will mean that when you change the view, all layers will change to the same view.

As you are self-educating, have you discovered the learning materials available to you in Vectorworks University?  You can create a free account, and run through tutorials that will take you from the basics right through to more advanced topics.

See I knew it had to be me! Thank you Tamsin! Of course I am relieved, I don't wish to work on software that is buggy 🙂

I have signed up to VW university, though often struggle to find exactly what I am looking for in a timely manner and a quick internet search is usually a quicker approach.

I'll get there, thank you!

Phil

• Like 1

And here is the background on the why.  When you are not in unified view and you Render a layer, VW effectively generates a bitmap that takes up the entire screen. Anything that are on layers lower in the stacking order are hidden by the render map.

Unified view effectively generates a super layer that contains all of the objects so when you render everything is seen.

For most people keeping Unified View on is the best option. There are some specific cases where you want a rendered background and wireframe (or 2D) foreground objects where not having Unified View is the best/only option.

That being said, I can't remember the last time I turned off Unified View while I was working.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

And here is the background on the why.  When you are not in unified view and you Render a layer, VW effectively generates a bitmap that takes up the entire screen. Anything that are on layers lower in the stacking order are hidden by the render map.

Unified view effectively generates a super layer that contains all of the objects so when you render everything is seen.

For most people keeping Unified View on is the best option. There are some specific cases where you want a rendered background and wireframe (or 2D) foreground objects where not having Unified View is the best/only option.

That being said, I can't remember the last time I turned off Unified View while I was working.

Really helpful, thank you Pat ... I'll keep Unified View on permanently then 🙂

• Like 1