Different Rendering Results between Elevation & Section Viewports

Ed Wachter

We're attempting to present two rendered elevations on the same sheet. One happens to be an elevation VP and the other a Section VP. We've chosen Final Quality Renderworks for the background render of both. These elevations show two sides of the same fence & retaining wall. We like the color as it appears on the lower view (the section VP). But the color is gray and washed out on the upper view (an elevation VP). Any thoughts on why the color appears so different between the two VPs? Does rendering work differently for sections vs. elevations? See attached screen shot.

Thank you!

Ed

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.10.04 AM.png

Are you using the same Heliodon for each side of the fence? If so — the bottom view of the fence could be looking at the shaded side, (perhaps why it’s so dark) and the top elevation might be in direct sun (perhaps why it is washed out).

If you aren’t using a different Heliodon for each respective side of the fence, I would recommend trying that.

I don’t know that Elevation VPs render differently from Section VPs, but I typically use only use Section VPs for exterior elevation views (not Elevation VPs), that way I can control where the grade is cut in the VP. In your case, it might also get both views looking more similar.

Thanks for those ideas. We have a different heliodon for each view. We attempted to light the two sides similarly. And yes, If I use a section VP instead the upper elevation renders similarly. So I'm still wondering if there is something different in the way rendering works between elevations vs. sections.

Ed

Thanks for those ideas. We have a different heliodon for each view. We attempted to light the two sides similarly. And yes, If I use a section VP instead the upper elevation renders similarly. So I'm still wondering if there is something different in the way rendering works between elevations vs. sections.

Ed