Wrap Flattened Plans to Arcs

Ben B

Hi All! 

I drafting something complex with 30-40 total layers of different depth on concentric circles.  We started with masses in plan and then drew flattened plans and elevations that now need to be wrapped backed into the overall plan on the appropriate radius. Is there a faster way to do this than re-drawing it? It’s not terrible but it seems there should be a way to wrap a 2D straight line and redraw it on a radius. Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

Everything is drawing in 2D. The workflow was to determine the masses in the plan and then flatten the arcs to draw all of the details and elevations. But, now we're at the point that we are moving the flattened plans back into the arcs. I know. I could draw it all using arc lengths, compose, etc. What I'm trying to figure out is if there's an easier way to take what is drawn flat and "bend" it to the appropriate arc as one piece as opposed to drawing all of the individual layers which would take some serious time. Thanks for your help!!

Plan Section.png

Plan Arc.png

As far as I know, there is no way to bend the 2d plans like you want to. Even if there was a tool/command for that, it would distort the front to back relationship of your walls (the wall thickness wouldn't stay consistent as you bend it. 

What might help you speed up the redraw though is to look at the options for the Offset tool. I'm not at my computer, but in the Offset tool settings (the wrench at the top of the viewport) there is an option to offset and connect the arcs and make it a closed polygon. So you'd only have to draw one arc and then offset. 

Hope that helps some. 

e. 

• Like 1

I think this is a problem with conflicting geometry that cannot be resolved by a simple flattening of the wall/doors/windows assembly. This is because the doors and windows and associated openings are not curved. They are on straight line chords which intersect the curve. The chords are shorter than the associated segment of the curve. Adding to the complexity, the curved wall components above/below doors and windows follow the curves.

Flattening the whole curved assembly would stretch the individual doors and windows. Flattening the curved wall then placing doors and windows Eg spaced according to centers, would yield different spacing (compared to spacing along the curve) between the doors and windows, and false dimensions for curved areas above/ below the doors and windows. 

I think the best approach is to model 3d, and depend on plan views to call the curve and straight segment lengths. Don’t try to make flattened elevations where the curves and straights do not scale appropriately. 

-B