Plant Tool - Use Plant Style as part of Plant Tool Preferences

ericjhberg

Question

In VW2019 and now in VW2020, after the new creation of Plant Styles, there is a problem with the way the Plant Tool operates...

Upon picking a precisely defined Plant Style to use with the Plant Tool, the tool does not have the ability to place the plants using the Style Definition for Spread, Height, or Spacing.

This means that when plants are placed using the tool, they automatically are placed using a custom Spread, Height, or Spacing. This may or may not match the Style Definition, but that is a mere coincidence.

The only way to make a plant placement respond to the Style Definition for Spread, Height and Spacing is by first placing plants and then by going into the Advanced Plant Settings, Size Tab, and switching from Custom Spread, Custom Height, and Custom Spacing to Use Plant Style.

This is a SEVERE regression and a problem with current workflows. Instead please allow for the ability in the Plant Tool Preferences to utilize the Plant Definitions Spread, Height, and Spacing as a DEFAULT.

@Bryan G.@Tony Kostreski @Eric Gilbey, PLA @Vladislav Stanev

• Like 2

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Eric, the plants are placed using whichever preferences are currently set in the Plant Tool Preferences.

Click the Plant tool, and then click Plant Tool Preferences. Here you can choose if you want to insert plants according to their style definition or according to an override value.

Once these preferences are set, insert the plants.

To avoid any problems in the future, set the preferences as you wish, and then save a template. Tool preferences are saved with the file, so this will mean all projects are set to your favourite way of working before you start. This can include tag preferences too (although I would advocate the use of Data Tags now for plant tags (and any other tags) as they are so flexible and the future.

Hi @Tamsin Slatter

I understand that the Plant Tool Preferences is where the settings are set to originate a plant placement...my problem is that you CANNOT make the Plant Tool Preferences use the Style Definition...it is NOT possible.

While it does appear that the settings do change to reflect different plant styles, they are not technically responding to the Plant Style's definition. What then happens is that the plants that are placed automatically default to Custom Size, Custom Height and Custom Spacing instead of By Definition and the only way to remedy this is by going into the Advanced Plant Settings and change them to By Style...after they are placed.

The problem here lies in the Styles...if I don't go into the Advanced Plant Settings and change all of my plants to By Style, I run the risk of updating the plant style later and not having the plants update. We do this all the time where we will update spacing or size for a plant given our current understanding of its relative performance. If I have already done all my planting and the plants are set to use custom size, height, and spacing, they will not update throughout when I update the Style...defeating the purpose of styles altogether.

We have a vast plant library of saved Plant Styles and we want to leverage this with the Plant Tool as best as possible. This is a recommendation of a FIX that should happen to ensure that Plant Styles are being used as the DEFAULT and not custom settings.

Thanks.

Edited by ericjhberg
added more context
  • Like 3