Classes for Annotations on sheet viewport?

Is there a way to place different types of annotations on their own class/layer/visibility within the sheet viewport? ie. wall tags on a layer, window tags on a layer, door tags on a layer, dimensions on a layer, notes on a layer, room labels on a layer...etc

I'm about to go back to annotating everything on the design layer within different classes in order to keep better track of each type. It just gets too crowded to catch mistakes/omissions/changes once you have a full set of working drawings going.

I've got a client that keeps changing their mind and I know I must be missing some changes in the annotations. 

I can't believe I have to ask this. We were arguing about using the viewport annotations versus annotating right on the design layer when I worked in an office back in 2005! Please tell me I've just missed a setting!

Thanks!

Edited by ArchiPam
1 hour ago, ArchiPam said:

Is there a way to place different types of annotations on their own class/layer/visibility within the sheet viewport? ie. wall tags on a layer, window tags on a layer, door tags on a layer, dimensions on a layer, notes on a layer, room labels on a layer...etc

Not sure I understand your question. You want to place annotations on design layer(s) (not in the annotation space of a viewport) and also use classes to control their visibility? The answer to that is yes absolutely. It means more classes are required and more stuff to control on design layers. As you mention though it can make it easier to track changes as everything is right there in the design layers rather than spread around multiple vp annotations. You can't however really do this with live section or elevation vps and other 3d views

The other way is to place annotations in vp annotations and I think this is how VW is supposedly set up to be used.

My way (for what it's worth) where I generally have a 3d model on design layers, is to only place annotations on design layers that need to be seen in multiple viewports - this might include some dimensions, structural grids, text tags. All other annotations are placed in VP annotations. Yes, if there are changes all relevant VP's need to be checked and updated as necessary - however that is where a rigorous pre issue checking is important.

I have also started doing most of my construction detailing in annotation space and using live viewports as only a template for the details. The design layers might all get turned off in these vp's leaving only the annotations visible. In this case any changes on d design layers will not impact on the details drawn in annotation space.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When you put annotations in the viewport (or even directly on the sheet layer), they can be classed, just as objects on the design layer can. Just right-click on the viewport and choose Annotations. Then add dimensions and notes as if you were on the design layer. These annotations will be part of the viewport but can be classed as you wish.

• Like 1
Just now, Tamsin Slatter said:

When you put annotations in the viewport (or even directly on the sheet layer), they can be classed, just as objects on the design layer can. Just right-click on the viewport and choose Annotations. Then add dimensions and notes as if you were on the design layer. These annotations will be part of the viewport but can be classed as you wish.

I JUST realized that as I started monkeying around with it. Nothing like a stupid question! Thanks Tamsin!

15 minutes ago, Boh said:

You mentioned visibilities but doesn't classing of objects in VP annotations only make sense to control object attributes by class? I.e. not for controlling visibilities as why put an object in a vp annotation if it is going to be made invisible?

So that I can turn them off and focus on only one type of annotation at a time. 

• Like 2