DWG Reference Position

Michal Zarzecki

Question

Hi All,

I have noticed such behaviour in VW after upgrading to 2020. 

I started a drawing in 2019, which has a DWG referenced. Now, in 2020, when someone who was working on that DWG drew something outside of the original drawing extent, this reference in VW is misaligned. As if VW centered it, based on the new extents.

Funny enough, I have a similar situation with someone displacing something in a DWG reference, but it doesn't affect its position in VW. Even though now the DWG drawing bounding box is huge.

Do you know where I can find a parameter/ setting that controls that centering behaviour? And perhaps why it's happening in one drawing and not in another? There are still many VW mysteries I haven't unravelled yet.

Your thoughts and experience would be much appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Hi Tamsin,

I was about to send it through, but thought I would replicate it first to be able to explain. It seems that now it's not happening. In the meantime I installed the new SP so it was either rectified through it or when I experienced it it was just w bug. 

When it happened before, I just opened the drawing/ model and realised that it got misaligned and this had to be because our dwg reference got wider due to additional linework on the side (like sketch options for some features). This morning I tried to replicate a situation where the reference is already in, then it's changed in AutoCAD and updated in VW. Nothing bad happened. The other attempt was to change the dwg reference and open the VW file that has it referenced. Still nothing.

Well, it seems to work now so that's the most important.

For the future, I would like to make sure that I am not missing anything. I understand that there is no setting that may potentially control that behaviour? Something along the lines of always [dynamically] centering the reference files? We always use the recommended import option (the first one).

Please let me know if there is anything I could/ should look into my settings/ preferences/ options.

Regards

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I would recommend that all referenced files are using the same user coordinate system. So, for each file in the project, after importing, draw a circle with a radius large enough to cover the entire set of geometry. If possible, this circle should be centred on exactly the same place in the project. Then, run Tools > Origin > Center Drawing on Internal Origin. This will ensure that the same point in the project is positioned over the internal origin, across the set of files. Then, run Tools > Origin > User Origin. Choose Next Mouse Click is and type in the true X and Y coordinates for that point on the site. Click OK and click on the internal origin. This will overlay the world coordinates on the internal coordinates and will ensure that everything aligns when referencing. (Of course, you can delete the circles - they are just a convenient way of ensuring the the center operation is centering the same point in the project).