Sheet Layer Viewport - "Crop in place" option?

livespace josha

Question

6 answers to this question

Guest Frank Brault

Not sure if I understand the question, but double-clicking the viewport object on the Sheet Layer presents a dialog that offers an option to edit the viewport crop; You can see the crop in context and have the option to edit it as Vectorworks geometry.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

ah.. OK.... so if you significantly move the crop object within the viewport then exit the crop, The crop's location in relation to the sheet layer has changed. This workflow would occur when duplicating existing viewports and moving crops to quickly set up a sheet. What you are proposing is an ability to keep the crop in the same place on a sheet and then 'Pan tool' across your design layer until you find what you would like to capture. Am I correct?

This is something that's been discussed/requested before I think. It's very tedious as it is - it seems there are few situations where you would want to adjust the crop and also have the viewport shift on the sheet layer (as currently is the behaviour).

There's also the question of what happens to the annotations. Some annotations you might want to stay in place relative to the design layer, but some - for example, things like drawing labels, northpoints and scale bars, that you want to stay in place relative to the sheet layout.

2 hours ago, TomWhiteLight said:

What you are proposing is an ability to keep the crop in the same place on a sheet and then 'Pan tool' across your design layer until you find what you would like to capture.

I've found the previous thread on this subject (see below). In fact what you describe is supposed to be possible, but is not, due to a bug identified last year. Has anything been done about it?

5 hours ago, TomWhiteLight said:

ah.. OK.... so if you significantly move the crop object within the viewport then exit the crop, The crop's location in relation to the sheet layer has changed. This workflow would occur when duplicating existing viewports and moving crops to quickly set up a sheet. What you are proposing is an ability to keep the crop in the same place on a sheet and then 'Pan tool' across your design layer until you find what you would like to capture. Am I correct?

Yes, exactly! You explained it much better than I did in my original post...I was in a hurry trying to get a print off to somebody, and thought this would be a cool feature.

my application: I have a template file with all my A/V floor pocket/wall plate connectors and layout details. I do a layout then export a single PDF to reference from my main file. I use the base floor plan and multiple crops of the pdf to indicate the building layout. The duplicate-crop-move of each viewport gets tedious...especially on large projects!

On 2/25/2020 at 2:12 PM, livespace josha said:

Yes, exactly! You explained it much better than I did in my original post...I was in a hurry trying to get a print off to somebody, and thought this would be a cool feature.

my application: I have a template file with all my A/V floor pocket/wall plate connectors and layout details. I do a layout then export a single PDF to reference from my main file. I use the base floor plan and multiple crops of the pdf to indicate the building layout. The duplicate-crop-move of each viewport gets tedious...especially on large projects!

What you want to do is already possible - see the thread I linked above. There is however a bug that means that it doesn't work in multi pane view.

@Frank Braultor @TomWhiteLight can you comment on whether this bug is logged and/or whether there are plans to resolve it?