Interior CAD

Hi, I've been using VW for awhile now and I'm interested in adding InteriorCAD. I'm mainly doing kitchen and furniture design. From my limited knowledge of InteriorCAD, it seems to be more powerful and versatile than VW. Does anybody here have any experience with it? Is it worth the cost and is it easy to use etc.? Any help would be appreciated.

John

I have a lot of experience with interiorCAD. I have written a manual of it and I have trained several of my clients to use it effectively. It is able to create very sophisticated kitchens in a great deal of detail. And if you need to send information to a CNC machine it can do that as well.

It?s not cheap, but I believe that the time you save is worth much more than the cost of interiorCAD. It will speed up the way you draw a kitchen.

We use InteriorCad in combination with Vectorworks Architect already for quite a while.

Yes it's not cheap but it perfectly integrates into Vectorworks and therefore the combination of both gives you a great Software Package. What speaks for it is the ease of use to design Cabinets.

Go to their website http://www.interiorcad.com and download the demo.

We use it for all of our KitchenDesign as well as other Furniture related Design Planning and Presentations.

Will Interior Cad work with 11.5 as of yet?? The last time I checked it would not. I am interested in using it for cabinet design and CNC export and it looks as if would fill the bill, so to speak.

Anyone had any experience using it for CNC export??

Any major issues with the software??

Thanks guys,

Tom in PA

Yes, interiorcad 2 works with 11.5 and the demo is available for download on their site.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the shop module is quite ready for prime time in North America. As far as I know, you can't place functional hardware yet, so I don't see how you can run boring patterns to CNC.Maybe you can export cut-lists to CNC tho.

There are tools for boring lay-out though, so maybe you can do this. We don't run CNC in our shop.

I find the estimating side of the program to be overly complicated. It may fit the bill for some, but I don't break down costing to the level of detail that Shop+ requires. You assign a labour cost, material cost and finishing cost (if needed) to every part in a cabinet. Some other shop programs work like this, but I find this to be a lot of work and no more accurate than looking at a cabinet as a whole object.

You should go get the demo and try it for yourself. I may have a use for I-cad as a design and presentation tool, but for now I'll continue to use my home-brewed Vectorworks solution for pricing and material lists. Without hardware costing, I-Cad is pretty useless as an estimating tool.

Of course, it's entirely possible that I don't understand how to use Shop+ and maybe these things are in fact do-able. I'd love to have some documentation on the Shop+ module.

Charles

Charles, contact me off-list for some help on the Cost centres, fundtional hardware and how to add costs for hardware... jon@archoncad.co.nz

interiorCAD 2.0 wrks with VectorWorks 11.5 and you CAN place functional hardware like hinges, handles connectors and so on. These turn up on the part layout as borings and then can be sent to the CNC machine for boring. There are several choices that you can make when buying CNC machinery and interiorCAD can be adjusted to suit the machines.

If you want to down see my manual please refer to:

http://www.archoncad.co.nz/manuals/maninfo.php#iCAD