Prevent objects from auto attaching to truss objects

Hello All,

Is there a way to prevent objects from auto attaching to rigging objects?  

On many instances, I've had Drape or LED Walls that are meant to be ground supported and drawn as such but happen to be under a truss line.  It seems that as soon as I make a change to any of the objects, the ground supported items will still auto attach to the rigging objects.

How do I prevent this from happening?

This can be a real pain....

The best way I know is to toggle on or off the Auto positioning function in Spotlight Preferences. Assigning the objects to different layers seems to have helped in the past, however, this is only anecdotal and I have no way of being sure if that is a "thing".

Reducing the Pick Radius of AutoPositioning definately helps, particularly if you are using lighting Pipes as opposed to trusses. When I am using lighting pipes I have the pick radius set to 50mm.

I'd be interested to see what other ideas anybody else has....

• 3 years later...

Hi

i have to bring this up again since disabling "auto positioning loads when creating" and "auto positioning loads when moving" does not work here.

the fixtures are on a different layer and even grouping does not prevent them from moving when i move a truss nearby. I cant detach them from the truss with the manage loads tool, it looks actually like that they are not attached at all

This is very frustrating this time. Anybody any idea how to disable this or how to detach several fixtures at once?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Edited by mkue
more details of problem
  • 3 weeks later...

I do not use auto positioning loads because like others have said, it only frustrates me and causes issues. For me it's not just lighting fixtures, but video walls too. I can be editing something and moving stuff around and not even notice something moved, and then all of the sudden trims have changed and deck fixtures are attached to nearby truss. Great concept, poor execution. I turn off "Auto-position loads when created" AND "Auto-position loads when moved" and also set the pick radius to 0" for good measure. As mentioned in a previous post, that is found under spotlight preferences. That keeps things automatically snapping to trusses. 

Then I use the "Manage Loads" on the rigging tool set to add or remove. I don't know how to do several fixtures with one click. This method you have to click each fixture. Just get it on the truss and then use this tool to add or remove. Note, that I always make my trusses hanging positions before I do this. I don't know if that has anything to do with why that wouldn't be working for you. 

Anyways, this new workflow is helping me, and keeps me from pulling my hair out and cursing at my screen. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1