which iPad App for measured surveys

19 minutes ago, Kevin Allen said:

You kind of do need a bluetooth connection. The iOS Measure app is weak. MagicPlan can be a PITA without a connection to a laser. Floorplanner looks kind if cool, but all imperfect. I think measure and survey  deserve a VE for VCS.

Thanks, I'm not so worried about any type of direct Vectorworks or Bluetooth connection, it's more a simple plan drawing app that I can use by taking manual measurements with a Disto then drawing on the iPad with a pen.

• 11 months later...
11 hours ago, _James said:

@Cadplan Architecture did you get any further with this?

Yes I've been using an iPad Pro for some months and would not go back to paper surveys. I researched Apps and found some very good ones for drawing accurate plans, however they weren't that easy to edit and were more like CAD than we needed. The one that we settled on is called INKredible, it's basically a drawing App so it avoids the complications of lines snapping to a vertical/horizontal grid,  you simply draw freehand (with an Apple Pen), we draw the walls first in black then go round with the Disto and nd write the dimensions in red, job done. Back in the office we simply draw up in Vectorworks. It's a very simple and quick way of doing things that gets the job done, we also have PDFs so no need to scan paper copies on a printer. We email the PDFs back to the office together with photos and notes etc. Even better2072415566_ScreenShot2021-01-23at11_30_33.thumb.png.6ed43ecb19ae67615f1535c4e1dce886.png it's free!

• Like 3

Looks good. I would like to use an iPad also and am strongly considering getting one. Whilst your survey looks great and i'm sure fits your needs perfectly, I do wish for a higher tech solution - I've seen some of your other posts around and saw that you were also considering magicplan etc. The other side of this of course is perhaps the simplest solution such as what you've shown is best.

Does your iPad have the Lidar sensor? I was considering this as magicplan can take advantage of this. So far I have been testing magicplan on my phone with a compatible bluetooth leica disto - i'm pretty impressed! The lidar sensor seems to take the magicplan up to the next level, autodetecting features like doors and windows.

It works for me as I don't wish to use CAD on an iPad as I prefer to work on a 27" iMac. I did look at a few other Apps magicplan comes with a few strings and it's  CAD App, iPocketDrawLite looks good but again it's CAD and too fiddly to use on site. For me INKredible does all I need it to on site because it's so quick. Your needs may be different. I don't use a Lidar sensor just a Disto. I like to keep things simple to speed up workflow.