insertion of a symbol in wall

A2M

Hy Guys.

Let's say I already have all my own windows symbols. Suppose also that the origin of each window symbol is on the internal face of the window.

I want to insert these symbols in a wall with multiple components, let's say concrete and an exterior insulation to make it simple. I want the window to be at the interface of the concrete and the insulation. In the insertion symbol options, it is only possible to place it in the centre or on the right or left side of the global wall. (see drawing attached!)

Is it possible to place it relatively to one of the components?

I know it is possible to enter the edition of the symbol and change the origin. The problem with that is that if you change the composition of the wall (you add an interior dubbing for example), you have to change all the symbols. If you can define one of the component to be the reference for the insertion of the symbol, then, you can change the composition of the wall as you, the symbol will stay on the right place.

Thanks in advance!

SKMBT_C22020021818580.pdf

I think you need individual Symbol duplicate for each setup.

And that it will only work for a special Wall Thickness and Components Dimensions.

On the other hand you are pretty free with the Geometry that will create the Wall Opening

and can add all kinds of wall covers, lintels and such stuff.

Thanks for all your answers. I'll try the option "use symbol geometry".

Still, I can not understand that the developpers have not thought of that, it seems to me like basics, when you insert something in a wall, it is always a door, or a window, and you want it in a precise position. And as I can imagine the programme it shouldn't be complicated to code...

@ zoomer:

11 hours ago, zoomer said:

On the other hand you are pretty free with the Geometry that will create the Wall Opening

and can add all kinds of wall covers, lintels and such stuff.

Can you explain what you mean?  Are you talking of vw tools?

With a picture if you want, might be a shorter explanation 🙂

@Pat Stanford

11 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

of the PIOs

Can you just tell me what pio mean? I imagine it is something like pre integrated objects... just for my culture!

2 hours ago, A2M said:

Can you explain what you mean? 

Windows plugin objects are limited to what they offer.

When you do a custom Window geometry by a Symbol you are free to build

whatever and how complex you need.

And I was talking about that Symbols for Wall insertion,

beside Containers for your 3D and 2D Geometry,

can contain an additional Container for a separate 3D Geometry that will

cut out the Wall.

So the final Hole in the Wall can be completely independent from the 3D Window

geometry itself if you explicitly add custom cut geometry !

(smaller or larger or more complex or completely different)

6 hours ago, A2M said:

Still, I can not understand that the developpers have not thought of that, it seems to me like basics, when you insert something in a wall, it is always a door, or a window, and you want it in a precise position. And as I can imagine the programme it shouldn't be complicated to code...

Reworking insertion of symbols into walls is a huge undertaking with many many potential ramifications. Right now the only thing the program has to handle is where along the wall and left/right/center. As soon as you want more than that you have to consider a huge number of options for how to insert. If you do it wrong (ok, we will give you an offset from the center or edge, But I changed my wall style and the symbol didn't move to the new position of the wall component, etc.) you make things far worse and not better.

I think it is on the roadmap, but the way forward for now is to use the Use Symbol Geometry option.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all your answers!

On 2/19/2020 at 5:18 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Reworking insertion of symbols into walls is a huge undertaking with many many potential ramifications

As I can see that there is a Python section in the forum, I can imagine that VW is written in Python, maybe originally in C++??? Anyway, as a wall can be a wall with or without component, I can imagine that there is a class for a component and that a wall is just an upper-class of the component class. I can imagine also that the insertion tool can be inherited to the component class with not a big effort. I don't really need an offset, just the same tool as now, but applied to each component (such that you can align the symbol on the component of your choice...).

I think I won't use the PIO's for windows and doors cause the drawing options they offer don't really fit what we're used to.

Another "dumb" question (maybe I should write a new post...), if I try to make a 3d model of the building, it's because I want to simplfy the drawngs of the sections and façades. I used the "create a section" command (créer une coupe in french) for a first look and the result is really bad (I try to explore all the options of the section viewport but nothing makes it better). I imagine you cannot teach me here how it works, but maybe you know where I can find some tutorials.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 1:17 PM, zoomer said:

When you do a custom Window geometry by a Symbol you are free to build

whatever and how complex you need.

Hi zoomer,

I finally decided to create my own symbols. It's a fight to understand how to create a nice elevation viewport in the sheet layer, but I'll start a specific thread for that.

When you design your own window for example, how do you set the properties of the glass sheet to have it semi transparent in the viewport?

Thanks in advance!

No matter if custom or PIO Window.

I have the Glass Pane assigned to my Glass Class.

The Glass Class uses a Clear Glass Material.
(Class could have also a general transparency amount)

This gives a real Glass look for OpenGL, RW Rendering and Export.

As in a recent case where I had pure OpenGL Elevation VPs,

when transparent Glass does not work well in Elevation Viewports,

I used Class overwrite for my Clear Glass Material in my Elevation Viewports.

I replaced it by a new non-translucent Glass Material.

If you use different Background Render Styles, you may want to overwrite

Fill colors or transparency.