Stacking Walls with Different Materials

Taylor081

I am coming from a Revit background trying to transition to an office that uses Vectorworks for BIM. I am trying to create a simple wall that has a exterior facade of  2'  brick base, 5' of storefront windows and then transitions to another material above the storefront. What is the best practice to do this? 

I read VW 2021 will be about new Wall System.

My expectations are, as always, pretty low 🙂

Let's hope for a surprise.

Nevertheless there are quite a few workarounds.

Beside

55 minutes ago, E|FA said:

My solution has been to use exterior walls without exterior cladding, and then model the siding as 3d objects.

There may be also by faking Composition Dimensions with custom Components Heights

to look like stacked Components for visualization purposes if applicable.

Or using a second Wall above the Windows, on a separate Class or better Layer to

hide for horizontal sections Plan Generation.

Maybe more.

What is most suitable depends on the specific Project.

Generally you can insert Windows and Doors in a single Wall only.

Also stacked duplicated Walls may cause problems with Auto- Joining

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I have a solution, but it requires coping the current wall. You can create the first wall with specifying an offset for the bottom of the inner wall and choose the material for it. and the copy and past the new wall and place it exactly in the same position, and this time remove the bottom offset and instead specify an offset for the top of the wall. (keep in mind to calculate the offsets accordingly so the sum of both corresponds to the height of the wall.

You can delete the outer side of the copy-pasted wall as well. Now you have the inner side with two materials and the positioning of the windows and doors are intact and clean.

Hope it helps 🙂

'P.S. for the offset of the top of the wall you need to specify the value in negatives. otherwise it will add to the height of the wall if you specify in positive value 😄

Cheers,

Arash

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
On 2/18/2020 at 10:34 AM, Taylor081 said:

I am coming from a Revit background trying to transition to an office that uses Vectorworks for BIM. I am trying to create a simple wall that has a exterior facade of  2'  brick base, 5' of storefront windows and then transitions to another material above the storefront. What is the best practice to do this? 

Another year has passed and our wall tool in Vectorworks stil don't to this basic function, all the other BIM apps out there are are doing that for years now... lets hope someday in the future, maybe in the 2030 version?

• Like 4
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 3:17 AM, Kimbo said:

Copying a wall and then pasting it above the other is basically taking a step backwards.

I cannot believe "made up" solutions for an expensive legitimate BIM package is still required.

I totally agree with you, all of the major BIM apps have this option for, like forever, sometimes I wonder if Vectorworks is even trying to compete with them, even in the videos Vectorworks shows the benefits of Vectorwoks agains Autocad, a CAD software! or with Sketchup! Seems to be embarrased to do one showing off against any real BIM software!

Stacking walls in Vectorwoks: Keep dreaming!
Change control in Vectorworks: Not a chance!
MEP in Vectorworks: Who does it ?
Pivot doors in Vectorworks: What's that?
Real projections of objects in Vectorworks. Ha!

And I can keep going....

Edited by DBrown
  • Like 1
  • 5 months later...