Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Network stops working once I've wrapped it.

Hi.

I'd like to wrap my network (about 380 nodes) into a single node. However, once, i wrap it, it doesn't work anymore. Is there more to wrapping a network than just right-clicking and selecting "wrap marionette network" that I don't know about. 

Also, when I use the "pass" node, it makes my geometry behave weirdly. I'd like to know your thoughts.

Thank You

If i have to check my network in a wrapper, i make new "outputs" with named pass nodes (first behind the nodes at the beginning than in the middle ...) then from line to line or node to node i check the Dataflow in the wrapper. (very lengthy 😕

If someone have a better solution to check the data flow in a wrapper please let me know.

this "node or tool" is number one on my wish list! 

Number two on my wishlist: wrappers with big Networks (>100 nodes) have to be closed faster! 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, m.graf said:

If i have to check my network in a wrapper, i make new "outputs" with named pass nodes (first behind the nodes at the beginning than in the middle ...) then from line to line or node to node i check the Dataflow in the wrapper. (very lengthy 😕

That's my advice as well. Very good point!

1 minute ago, m.graf said:

Number two on my wishlist: wrappers with big Networks (>100 nodes) have to be closed faster! 

Has this become slower? I had to wait longer than I remembered when I did my last fairly substantial project. Your tiling object must have been horrendous!

Aneesh Carvalho:

your question about the "pass node":

Sometimes i have to delete the "absorb part" and change to "normal input" in the pass node, don't know why... but it works sometimes.

Sorry this is only experience of many hours "try and error" ( i'am only architect not a programmer)  

1555641716_Bildschirmfoto2020-02-19um21_03_22.thumb.png.ccf68db24f0c2a778d2e80aea27ae3af.png

Edited by m.graf

Thanks @Stephan Moenninghoffand @m.graf I did try breaking down my network into parts and wrapping them up, but it still caused issues with data flow. I did put a pass node at the end and beginning of the wrapper but it still didn't work well. I'll try what @m.grafsuggested about editing the pass node. 

I did a lot of trial and error yesterday and for some parts it worked but for other parts it didn't and it just feels that my approach was very "trial and error" based and was just down to luck if it worked. There doesn't seem to be any guide or tutorials on how to effectively use wrappers for large networks. 

Unfortunately, this is a weak consolation, but it is hard reality to be a pioneer. 🙂 

"Copy and paste" is easier.

if you don't want to post the whole script here, unfortunately you have to go the hard way and try to isolate the problem in the network

With the valve node (on all parallel lines) you can build breakpoints in the network to check if the networks run until then. 

I wish you success!