Exiting Nested Symbols Reverts to Top Layer

Hi All,

I'm having a problem when I try to edit a symbol that is nested inside another symbol. Every time I edit a symbol and then exit, I am taken to the top layer, rather than the layer the symbol was in. This is particularly annoying since my file has a lot of imported DWGs, so there are tons of symbols inside symbols inside symbols.

I've tried using both the Exit Symbol button at the top and the Exit Symbol action in the Modify Menu. Same deal. I'd prefer not to fall back on Cmd+K and Ungroup, it is nice to have them contained as Symbols.

I'm sure this is just a weird preferences setting somewhere but I'm not sure how to change it. 

Thanks!

I have to ask, have you quit and restarted VW? I know you have, but it is part of the unwritten rule of troubleshooting.

Does the same thing happen if you edit the contained symbol and choose Top Level from the Modify menu?

What happens if you create a really simple set of nested symbols in a new blank file?

Have you tried a different workspace? Could Top Level have somehow gotten linked to the shortcut for Exit Symbol?

Grasping at straws. 😞

On 2/15/2020 at 1:38 PM, Andy Broomell said:

I don't agree with how Vectorworks handles flipped symbols, but for now it is what it is...

@Andy Broomell Flipped Symbols should behave like regular symbols.

Thanks for pointing out what causes this. Seeing this behavior on a test file once the symbols are flipped.

This feels like a bug.

This should be on the wish list at a minimum

Hey All,

Thanks for helping me figure this out! The nested symbols weren't flipped and the behavior continued even after re-starting vectorworks. Choosing Top Level from the Modify Menu took me to the Top Level, as expected. 

However, this morning, I opened VW, let it run the updater and that seems to have solved the problem. Sometimes Vectorworks jut needs to take a vector-nap, I guess.

Edited by Lauren Barber
  • Like 1