A question for set designers - 2D or 3D?

Hey @PhilDon great to see you venturing on to VW !!

I think every software has its clunkiness in one way or another, and each software has its way of workflow. 

Like many above, I tend to model majority (if not all) in 3D for the fact that I can generate all the plans, sections, elevation and perspective view from the model and it gets updated as the model updates. Sometimes I add further 2D elements in layout as annotations or extract view in designer layer as 2D drawings for details etc.

I know many architects out there use VW for 2D only as well.

At the end of the day,  you still need to produce a drawing with annotations and dimensions. The least amount of import / export roundtrips of between different softwares is my preference, not to mention to accuracy of import/export models between software too. 

For the last 20 years I have used AutoCAD, Sketchup, Rhino, VW, Revit. I think VW does a pretty good job as an all rounder, and I like it comes with many 2D elements such as trees / cars / people etc to add more soul to the drawing. 

If you need a more serious rendering, have a look at Twinmotion, and its free too 😎

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, PeterYip said:

Hey @PhilDon great to see you venturing on to VW !!

I think every software has its clunkiness in one way or another, and each software has its way of workflow. 

Like many above, I tend to model majority (if not all) in 3D for the fact that I can generate all the plans, sections, elevation and perspective view from the model and it gets updated as the model updates. Sometimes I add further 2D elements in layout as annotations or extract view in designer layer as 2D drawings for details etc.

I know many architects out there use VW for 2D only as well.

At the end of the day,  you still need to produce a drawing with annotations and dimensions. The least amount of import / export roundtrips of between different softwares is my preference, not to mention to accuracy of import/export models between software too. 

For the last 20 years I have used AutoCAD, Sketchup, Rhino, VW, Revit. I think VW does a pretty good job as an all rounder, and I like it comes with many 2D elements such as trees / cars / people etc to add more soul to the drawing. 

If you need a more serious rendering, have a look at Twinmotion, and its free too 😎

Aha - Peter my friend, good to hear from you!

I'm kinda getting the hang of VW now, it's starting to make more sense and is feeling a little more natural. It seems a bit slow though ...? Actions in C4D that work in realtime seem to take an age in VW, it's serious concern. Always open to the possibility I'm doing something wrong of course, but can't imagine what in this instance, I have inserted some small 3D models that I produced in C4D, but they aren't heavy on polygon count.

Really enjoying the auto hybrid function, that's a real bonus.

Will look at Twinmotion - thank you!!

This might help?

Haven't used C4D for quite some time now, so can't really say much. But I do import the odd object from Rhino when it is easier to model elsewhere. Otherwise I tend to model everything in VW where possible. 

Vectorworks University has many great tutorials to get you started. The architect course will cover more or less what you will need, and 

https://university.vectorworks.net/

1 hour ago, PeterYip said:

This might help?

Haven't used C4D for quite some time now, so can't really say much. But I do import the odd object from Rhino when it is easier to model elsewhere. Otherwise I tend to model everything in VW where possible. 

Vectorworks University has many great tutorials to get you started. The architect course will cover more or less what you will need, and 

https://university.vectorworks.net/

Ah brill - thank Peter. Though this tute is quite old and things may have moved on, I'll have a little play around - top fella! Xie xie