Rack Equipment- Text size

DEZ

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Would it be possible to post a picture showing exactly what the problem is?

The Equipment Item text display is designed as far as possible to "just work" and therefore speeding up your workflow by you not having to attend to this. Obviously there is a case here that we have not covered so if I could know what it is maybe we can handle this too?

Looking forward to the screenshot !!!

Conrad

Hello Conrad,

Please see screen shot requested.  For communication to installers and for client handover of drawing I can not truncate the information provided to allow for only available space.  There was not a way I could find to resize text.

VW CONCAD EQUIP ITEM.png

Hello Conrad,

Thanks you for the response. The text resizing and flowing to the an additional line appears to be a workable solution. 

7 hours ago, Conrad Preen said:

Thank you DEZ

I do see your point. Would you be happy if the text did a combination of shrink-to-fit and flow onto a new line?

Conrad

I found another item to look at.  The "Device Builder" lands objects with text overlapping  left to right and a bit top to bottom.  screen shot included.  Is there a fix in the pipeline?  The "Original" is how the object landed after selection the Black Magic Design device. There other two items notes were after I spent time to modify each.  This is consistent for all items when using Device builder.  

device_builder_screen _shot.png

Hi DEZ

Sockets are always created on snap grid points. This is done so that the Connect Tool will detect sockets even when Snap To Grid is the only active snap (recommended). So what I think is going on is that you have chosen a rather small snap grid and hence the text overlaps. Not quite sure why you have the snap grid set so close? If it's a matter of fitting to a particular sheet size then you can always achieve that by displaying your design layer in a viewport located in a sheet layer. This is better in any case since it gives you more control over presentation.

If you think I'm missing the point please send me the drawing and I'll take a look.

Conrad

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/18/2020 at 12:33 PM, DEZ said:

I don't know who to thank, but today's update addressed the "Rack Item" text size issue that kicked off this message chain! Thanks!! 

Does one have to do anything to a drawing to make the text shrink? I've applied SP3.1, but my drawing still has rack item labels that spill out of the rack. I can't find any new commands or controls to change the text size.

For this project I can shorten the names, yes. But sometimes I work in environments where the equipment names are defined by others, and in those cases I will likely need to stick with whatever names already exist.

Anyway, if it's not possible to shrink them I'll shorten the names. Thanks very much for taking a look at this.

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, tom-SPL said:

I'd like to bring up this conversation again. There are times I would like to be able to present a rack without these text elements - or have the ability to at least resize the text. Why is this not possible?

Hello @tom-SPL,

In VW 2023 it is possible to set the size of the Equipment Item name text from Text->Size menu command when the equipment item is selected. Additionally, you can select not to show the default name and make/model texts in the equipment item by deselecting Show Text in the equipment item OIP. However, these settings do not apply to the equipment item displayed in 3D racks.

Anyway, your feedback is valuable and we will try to make improvements on this topic so that it covers your needs.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov