Data tag class assignment based on connected object

Ivers

Hi there, 

I am using data tags to make lighting labels  in spotlight. I have created a small script that assigns all lighting instruments to a class with the same name as the lighting instrument (with a prefix). The result is something like this: Lighting Fixtures-Mac Aura XB. Since I am using data tags to display instrument data like adresses, circuits and so on, I want to automate the process of assigning the data tags to the correct class. E.g. Lighting Labels-Mac Aura XB.  To do this, I need to iterate through all data tags and and assign them to a class dependent of the name of the connected lighting instrument. Is this possible to do in a script? The data tag part of the vectorscript documentation is quite limited. 

Hi Ivers,

here is a little example that gives you the count off the dataTag objects. What you need to do is simply replace the counting by the set class function:

crit = "((R IN ['Data Tag']))"

count = 0

def callback(h):
	global count
	count += 1	

vs.ForEachObject(callback, crit)

vs.AlrtDialog("Counted ", count, " DataTags")

Hi Pat,

Thank you very much for your answer. 

This solves one out of two problems. Now I can set the class for a data tag. What I am trying to do is: 

I have a symbol with a record format attached to it. One of the fields in the record is "Name".  I have made a script that assigns the given symbol to a class named after the "Name" field in my record format. Then I add some data tags to show data about this symbol. Next, I want to assign the data tag to a class based on the "Name" field in the record format of the associated symbol. (Puh, long sentence). 

A small example. 

SymbolA with a record format with a field "Name"="Paul"

My current script will assign this symbol to a class named "Symbolprefix-Paul"

The problem: 

SymbolA has a data tag associatedwith it. When I run the script, the data tag should end up in a class called:

"Datatagprefix-Paul"

So I need a way to get a handle to the associated object when I loop through the data tags.

Sorry about the confusing explaination. 

Edited by Ivers