Improved Functionality With Schematic Views

Ryan Seybert

Question

With the introduction of Schematic Views, utilizing CPMV and DLVPs as means to communicate details in a 3D and 2D environment have become obsolete.  This is a pretty big bummer as that's really the best way to efficiently create vertical lighting positions.  Users who have updated to and adopted 2020 really have no recourse.  Yes, DLVPs still function as means of getting the 3D representation of the position into its proper location.  However, the fixtures will not point accurately at any focus point they have been assigned, regardless of manipulating the rotation along its cardinal axis'.  That ability has been removed from the software as a means to further support the MVR functionality.

I understand thats its work in progress, as with most new features of VW, but this really needs to take priority over any introduction of a new features in future releases or service pack updates until the functionality of this feature has been ironed out.

So, I'm asking for Vectorworks to reinstate the full functionality DLVPs until the Schematic View workflow is improved and truly is a valid replacement.

I've been beating my head against this for about a week and came up with a small wishlist of features for Schematic Views that I feel would greatly improve the workflow:

- Allow 2D label legends to translate to the Schematic View.

- Allow user the option to create a "backwards" Schematic View by drawing elements in a 2D form first and then create the Schematic View.  Ideally, the result would be a "2D/3D symbol" that would be a footprint of the position in Top/Plan View and would show actual geometry when viewed in any of the 3D views.  

- Navigate away from using Hidden Line rendering to create the Schematic View.  This utilizes GPU resources over CPU and can lead to longer, more taxing manipulation of the model.

Many thanks to those involved.

Edited by rseybert
  • Like 3

1 answer to this question

On 2/7/2020 at 1:06 PM, rseybert said:

- Navigate away from using Hidden Line rendering to create the Schematic View.  This utilizes GPU resources over CPU and can lead to longer, more taxing manipulation of the model.

I think you have these switched,  if I recall, hidden line uses the CPU and if I recall correctly it's single threaded and is slow AF.     GPU or Multicore CPU would be a vast improvement (unless this changed in a recent version).   

I agree with your points though,  there are a lot of real world situations where schematic view can't handle it, and while I can appreciate the goal of it,  it's fairly half-baked.     And I don't know what has happened to DLVP's in this release,  but they are almost unusably slow in 2020.

Edited by Wesley Burrows