VP Line Weights Don't Display in Best Compatibility Mode

willofmaine

Question

Create a blank file.  Draw some walls.  Create a section viewport.  Edit the Section Style class so that it has a light fill and heavy line (such as 0.70mm).  In the Viewport's Advanced Properties > Display, set the Line Weight Scale to 1.  Set Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics to "Best Compatibility."  Update the section viewport, and draw a line (either inside the annotations or not) and set it to the same thickness as for the Section Style class (the 0.70mm) as a reference.  Note that the lines representing the walls at the section plane are not 0.70mm as expected.  Change Navigation Graphics to "Best Performance," and then they are as expected.  VWIS179

Unfortunately, with Navigation Graphics set to "Best Performance," the colors of objects in viewports that are on layers using layer color overrides are entirely nonsensical (whereas they are as expected with "Best Compatibility."  VWIS175

The super powerful Vectorworks Graphics Module seems to have plunged us into a seemingly endless and inescapable world of Vectorworks graphics trauma.  

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

An example:

A Sheet layer viewport containing two sections on a design layer (bldg and roof)

Best compatibility:

kuva.thumb.png.2010f97f0d68c38bd9f85dbd9cf4b806.png

Good compatibility and perfomance & Best compatibility, the roof beyond the section line is missing:

kuva.thumb.png.47237fdc41a43a6f722a7408605d6268.png

And then again, using best performance I get a wireframe floorplan flying on the top of my rendered facades...even though it is not visible on the whole sheet.

Too many hiccups as it is (2019SP5.3).

• Like 1

AND....even though the roof is visible with the "best performance" option, the roof doesn't show up on a published PDF.

kuva.thumb.png.c60320466bf252ff3b6c0db4885733a0.png

AND...of course, the roof shows up in a published dwg, BUT the roof line type is solid and stays so despite any LTS change. Weirdly, the properties window in autocad displays the line type correctly.

kuva.thumb.png.7625a6c786893668facdc98a8b40fc7c.png

I need the following consistency: SCREEN - SHEET LAYER - PDF -DWG. They cannot be different!

• Like 1

This issue persists in SP3.  I neglected to mention in my original post that "Zoom Line Thickness" needs to be turned on in order to see the different line weights.

Also, after having set up the viewport and the 0.70mm reference line, if you switch from "Best Compatibility" to "Best Performance," it's necessary to zoom at least a little before the line weights actually update.  It would be nice if Vectorworks had "real-time" graphics, let alone real-time rendering.

• Like 1

Not to sidetrack the discussion but " it's necessary to zoom at least a little before the line weights actually update" is an issue in other places. For example, while editing a data tag or section marker, your changes don't display until zooming in and out. Caused me some head scratching before I figured this out. 

• Like 1

@willofmaine I am not seeing this on my 16" MacBook Pro on Best Performance. Since this is driving you batty, can you take a few minutes to do a test please?

Go to System Preferences:Users & Groups and create a new user. Log into that new user. Launch VW. Create a new blank file and do something that normally would not redraw until you zoom. Does it do so in this user?

Open a drawing that normally requires zoom to get it to redraw. Change something and see if the zoom is required.

The above tests will help determine if it is a problem with the file or with VW or with your User account.

If you have already tried the above. Sorry about that.

• Like 1