Google File Stream Support for Project Sharing

Tom Klaber

Question

We have been able to resist for a while now because we have been small.  Now that the projects are getting bigger and the team is getting bigger - we need to implement project sharing.  The only issue is that we do not run an in-house server.  Contrary to the project sharing documentation, Google Drive is not supported.

Project Sharing needs to become a stable, dependable, and widely supported feature.  It has not really gotten any updates or love in the past couple of releases.  Without this, offices are simply going to continue to grow out of Vectorworks.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Hi @Tom Klaber, we have invested heavily in 10GBe network to deal with the big files in Project Sharing. 

Project sharing, as you pointed out, does remain a terribly unreliable feature for us. Even on local network. 

With our interior projects files now over 2GB, I wonder if it would be efficient to share and sync such files over cloud?

I share our PS experience in the following post, which records the issues we have be experiencing for the past 6 months.

The problem has persisted for much longer, but we only decided to start recording it at that point. 

@Amorphous - Julian I read through that thread - it is a painful read.  

I strongly feel that if it is ever going to be a useful feature, it needs to work on the cloud.  The idea that this would only work in a wired in-house sever setup means that it is already out of date.  The biggest issue I see with cloud is the commit and sync times.  If we can divide that into two functions -  I am OK with slow sync times as long we we can get fast commit times.  As long as the save and commit takes the same amount as a save - the I am OK with the sync aspect taking 10 minutes.  So I think the solution there is some intermediate temp shuttle file - that saves itself - then allows the user to keep working - and then takes it upon itself to sync to the project file independently of the working file keep users from idling sitting around for 10 minutes.  I muster that this is an issue even in an in house environment. 

@Tom Klaber it is indeed painful. Worse when it doesn't end. The post just keeps going. 

We find that the 'save and commit' time must be minimised in our workflow. That's because during 'save and commit', team members can't 'check out' new items for editing. 

So, if a S&C was to take 10 minutes (as you suggested above), and there was 3 people on the team working on the file, then that's a 30-minute interval that the project would have to stop. 

That is, unless, you have a really good system to forward-plan what to items for each team member 'check out'. We haven't got a really system in that respect yet, we just check out items on the fly as we model/document.

So, if you can share some insights into planning how to check out parts of a model, I'd appreciate it. 

Back onto the important topic you posted about- that of integrating Google Drive / Google File Stream into project sharing. Our office uses Google Drive too, and if Project Sharing can somehow be implemented for smaller files via Google (Drive/File stream) we'd welcome this feature.