Custom Icons for 2019 and 2020

My last laptop was a 2017 15" MBP with mid-level specs. This 16" MBP is maxed on everything except the SSD. The power boost is almost mind-blowing. The cost was a small price to pay for the increase in processing and productivity.

I haven't done much in final-quality rendering. My last project required a ton of moving in and out of 3D views during the design process. This was handled flawlessly, even though most of the 3D assets were based on a DWG import.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Thank you for the compliment! I like your version, too.

I created the icons in Pixelmator, then used Image2icon which exports an .icns file containing 10 resolutions from 1024x1024 to 16x16. It can even supplant an input image onto a range of other icon backgrounds—USB drive, SD card, CD, vinyl cover, Polaroid, NES/SNES-style game cartridges or emboss it into a macOS folder image (just to name a few). Image2icon is one of many apps I've found because of my Setapp subscription.

I don't think there's a way to hide the arrow for an alias (at least not without tinkering with high level Finder behaviors). Everything in the dock is technically an alias… but doesn't show an arrow. When you added Twinmotion, did you do so from an alias instead of the main app? If so, simply locate the alias target and drag the actual app icon into the dock.

From the dock icon:

• Right-click 'Twinmotion'>Options>'Show in Finder'

• Right-click the resulting alias>'Show Original'

• Drag original to dock

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 22.49.47.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 22.51.56.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 22.51.09.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 22.50.51.png

• Like 4

@MAD-LD Thanks for the tip!  Turns out I dragged an alias over instead of the main program as you noted.

I might have to check out that icon workflow you have sometime, the results are very good.

I just copy/pasted a few PNGs I hacked together one day in an effort to keep those blue folders from cluttering up things 🙂

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...