How to create my own plant database?

kawchman

Hello! 

I am using Vectorworks Landmark '19 and I am wondering how to create a database where I can store all of the most common plants that I use for my landscape designs. Basically I am just hoping to have a place where I can quickly access those plants which I use the most. Especially the ones that so arduously create on my own. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, Tamsin, but this didn't work for me. It did not create a new file. It wants to open an existing file in the Object Styles\Plant directory. When I checked my Object Styles subfolders, they are all empty, including the Plant folder (in both my Vectorworks 2020 and 2019 folders). My directory path is: 

C:\Users\jmcca\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\2020\Libraries\Object Styles\Plant

On Monday I started a topic titled 'Custom plant catalogs, Resource Manager, Plant Preferences dialog box', but have received no response. I am completely baffled by this aspect of Vectorworks and it is really hampering my productivity. I would love some advice/help in this area (how to get my custom and favorite plants to show up within the Resource Manager Favorites or User Libraries and/or the Plant Preferences dialog box). 

Might you have a moment or somewhere you can point me for support?

Thank you very much,

James

14 hours ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

Every time you make a new plant in a project, right click on that plant and choose Export Plant. Choose the following location:

Libraries > User Folder > Object Styles > Plant. The first time you do this, a new file will be created called Exported Plant. 

For subsequent exports, choose this file. This file will always be available when you use the Plant tool's resource selector. When you upgrade Vectorworks, files within this folder structure will automatically migrate to the new version without you having to remember where they are.

Thank you Tamsin!

I had basically started my own new vwx file copying all my created plants which I could then copy and paste from but I'll try this instead so I don't have to have both files open every time. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
14 hours ago, jmccain8 said:

Thanks for the tip, Tamsin, but this didn't work for me. It did not create a new file. It wants to open an existing file in the Object Styles\Plant directory. When I checked my Object Styles subfolders, they are all empty, including the Plant folder (in both my Vectorworks 2020 and 2019 folders). My directory path is: 

C:\Users\jmcca\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\2020\Libraries\Object Styles\Plant

On Monday I started a topic titled 'Custom plant catalogs, Resource Manager, Plant Preferences dialog box', but have received no response. I am completely baffled by this aspect of Vectorworks and it is really hampering my productivity. I would love some advice/help in this area (how to get my custom and favorite plants to show up within the Resource Manager Favorites or User Libraries and/or the Plant Preferences dialog box). 

Might you have a moment or somewhere you can point me for support?

Thank you very much,

James

I think you should contact tech support in the US. This method definitely does work, so something wrong local to your computer I think.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I ended up deciding to close out my active drawing, and then reopened Vectorworks from the app menu (rather than clicking on my drawing file from the file system).

This seemed to do the trick. Now I can see the export file and then my exported plants when clicking on that from within the Resource Manager and Plant Preferences dialog box. But I have to hit Refresh on the libraries from within the Resource Manager before any recently exported plants show up as available. 

Anyway, however clunky the process, I might be making some progress. Thanks again.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jmccain8 said:

Thanks.  I ended up deciding to close out my active drawing, and then reopened Vectorworks from the app menu (rather than clicking on my drawing file from the file system).

This seemed to do the trick. Now I can see the export file and then my exported plants when clicking on that from within the Resource Manager and Plant Preferences dialog box. But I have to hit Refresh on the libraries from within the Resource Manager before any recently exported plants show up as available. 

Anyway, however clunky the process, I might be making some progress. Thanks again.

You're welcome. And thanks - I forgot the bit about having to refresh the library to get it to show up!
Enjoy...

• Like 3
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Tamsin Slatter 

This is as good a place as any to ask this.

When I first started, not quite understanding the user data folder structure, I created a "library" folder in my user data folder for various library files --- named 'Z-Plant Library' and 'Plant Library PERENNIALS.vwx'  etc.  

I also made these files 'Favorites' in the resource manager.

So - if I understand this correctly I can export to the 'favorites' instance of this file (less clicking to get to that one) and it will be update in both locations, correct?

1393862298_Librariesvsfavorites.thumb.jpg.5b30c309ec2806e1ee9933c88b6c0a75.jpg

Also, should I just get rid of my 'Z' folders and store the library file in the correct 'object styles' folder?

or does it not really make any difference?

My user data is located online on onedrive so I can access/amend it from my laptop too.

Edited by hollister design Studio
  • 2 weeks later...

Your best bet is to create a Workgroup library on your chosen storage location (Server, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc...) then you can use that structure to organize your resources. This can be accessed by any computer with access. I have a file structure that I can send you to use to get going as it is very well structured to start (Worked for me for years).I have attached an image of the structure. Let me know and I can post it for download and instructions.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 3.10.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 3.11.37 PM.png

• Like 4
1 hour ago, bgoff said:

Your best bet is to create a Workgroup library on your chosen storage location (Server, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc...)

Is there a reason to use 'workgroup' for the storage location - as opposed to 'user libraries'?

Does it keep everything cleaner?

1 hour ago, bgoff said:

I have a file structure that I can send you to use to get going as it is very well structured to start (Worked for me for years).

Images are great and pretty self explanatory.

I'm on a PC so there might be some bumps in downloading your files structure but thanks for the offer!

If you have the time I can try to download open - back in the day sharing usb drives was never really difficult between mac and pc

I think I was nervous that I was thinking of creating 'too many' folders and files.

Nice to see that it's actually the way to go.

There are benefits to a workgroup library. Also the files are universal so will work on Mac and PC.

This is a striped version of what I used in my firm. Works very well and is what was used for many years. this allowed us to categorize the plants also by region as we worked nationally. You can modify and add to it as you like, this makes it flexible for your needs and workflow.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...