Can't add angular dimension to viewport?

Bruce Kieffer

Question

7 answers to this question

Yeah, I've asked this question before. I have the same issue with the Radial Dim tool not recognizing an arc in a viewport. Works fine if you trace over the angel or the arc but that's a pain. I don't understand why the tools we need to work in viewport annotations don't work in viewports. I keep coming back to the forums for this one because I must be doing something wrong. I can't believe these tools don't work in Viewports. 

This is my first time posting. I have the same issue in Viewports. I get the error message "Angular Dimensions can only be between intersecting objects."  I am trying to note the angle to cut this steel. It is a Front View in Wireframe of extruded objects.  It is kind of frustrating. I've used the design layer trick but I hate when I change views.

Any chance this is better in 2023?

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 9.55.24 AM.png

I can only get that to work sometime. I think the reason its working for Bruce is that he's got a co-planer contagious shape. While Iwlehew has two separate objects that may not be co-plainer. The fix is to use the third mode that lets you trace guide lines anywhere in the viewport. I can't remember the name (don't have VW open) but its the 3rd mode in the mode bar. You just extend guidelines along your objects and measure between the guides not the objects. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SeanOSkea said:

I can only get that to work sometime. I think the reason its working for Bruce is that he's got a co-planer contagious shape. While Iwlehew has two separate objects that may not be co-plainer. The fix is to use the third mode that lets you trace guide lines anywhere in the viewport. I can't remember the name (don't have VW open) but its the 3rd mode in the mode bar. You just extend guidelines along your objects and measure between the guides not the objects. 

It is working for me with multiple objects and the first mode of the Angular Dimension Tool, edges mode.

183124990_Screenshot2022-10-26at8_20_41PM.thumb.png.327abf7773482f404d71e4afe4a425e7.png

I think it works on Building Shell objects. If its an object made from an extruded shape, its not snapping. But it is snapping to my Stair-tool built stairs. I don't have the patients to figure out what it wants so I just use the third mode "Reference line mode" all the time so I don't have to worry about it. 

RefLIneMode.png