Lost Blue Handles in One File

Andy Broomell

Question

In one particular file I suddenly can't see any blue handles at all (including with the Selection tool, the Reshape tool, etc.).

I do have Interactive Scaling Mode on, so it's definitely not that. Is there anything else that could be causing this? I do not have the time re-create his entire set in a new file with all the Section Viewports that are involved, so I hope there's a solution.

Handles appear in a new file.

Restarting Vectorworks and my computer did not solve it...

12 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
13 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

That fixed it! Thank you!!!!!

Great!

I'll let you know if it ever happens again, but that's the first time I've seen that happen (where restarting VW didn't fix it).

Please do.  Could it be possible the problem happened just after a file save or crash?

Thanks again 🙂 

You're welcome!

1 minute ago, Matt Panzer said:

I'll let you know if it ever happens again, but that's the first time I've seen that happen (where restarting VW didn't fix it).

Please do.  Could it be possible the problem happened just after a file save or crash?

Actually, I just realized this issue is fixed for 2020 SP3.  Until then, it it happens again, use my Multiple Panes toggle trick.  🙂

• Like 1

This has happened to me many times and I think I figured out a work-around. For me, this seemed to happen with files that were created in VW2018 and opened in VW2020. I completely scrapped files created in a previous version and re-created them with "untitled" VW2020 files. So far, these "pure" files have not been losing their handles...not much anyway. I'm very carful not to copy and paste anything into them that came from another file. That's hard to do after working with MiniCAD/VW for nearly 25 years.

This is a serious problem because I'd venture to say that every user--as in 100%--who is not coming new to VW will always be opening files created in a previous version. I have not been able to isolate what exactly it is that is incompatible between the versions. That will be impossible to determine unless you are digging into the code, I suspect. But it's worth a try.

Thanks

Mike

1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

Could it be possible the problem happened just after a file save or crash?

It could have been after a file save, hard to recall, but it definitely wasn't after a crash. I was in the middle of working on the file, along with working on another open file in another tab. I didn't notice the exact moment it happened, but at some point I realized one file had blue handles and the other file didn't...

1 hour ago, Andy Broomell said:

It could have been after a file save, hard to recall, but it definitely wasn't after a crash. I was in the middle of working on the file, along with working on another open file in another tab. I didn't notice the exact moment it happened, but at some point I realized one file had blue handles and the other file didn't...

Thanks for the information, Andy.

In any case, I believe 2020 SP3 will take care of this.