Data Tags going blank

Christiaan

Question

I'm experiencing a bug where some of the Data Tags in my Section Viewports go blank. I've noticed if I drag the handle with the yellow exclamation mark slightly it will regenerate the text. Has anyone experienced this and figured out a way to regenerate the text to all Data Tags at once?

1286412096_Screenshot2020-01-24at09_47_42.thumb.png.7d0c80fef321343b182cc2dc957c2c3d.png

585888706_Screenshot2020-01-24at09_51_20.thumb.png.c4037b01bb50973f9d3a1e731f56b817.png

VB-167804

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1

11 answers to this question

Next time you see this, see if this script resets the DataTags.

Procedure ResetDataTags;

{January 22, 2020}
{©2020 Patrick Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}

{Script to reset all DataTag objects in the drawing.}
{Edit criteria to limit scope}
{No warranty expressed or implied. Use at your own risk.}
{Backup and test for suitabilty for your use.}
{Here be Dragons. For external use only.}

Procedure Execute(H2:Handle);
		Begin
			ResetObject(H2);
		End;

Begin
	ForEachObject(Execute,((R IN ['Data Tag'])));
End;

Run(ResetDataTags);

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Next time you see this, see if this script resets the DataTags.

Thanks Pat, I thought you might pop your head in here. The script didn't regenerate the tag text. It seems it's not enough to reset them but that they have to be re-attached to the object, which is presumably un-scriptable, unless there's a way to script the dragging of the end of the leader slightly.

Edited by Christiaan

Happens to me too, Pat, but I've just been playing around with Truss, Hoists, and Hanging Positions.  I will be curious if any source of the problem you find might not be dependent on the tagged object.  I would send you an example, but I deleted them as they occurred and moved on; I thought I might be doing something wrong.

This happens to me as well. I see this discussion started quite a while back. Has there been any resolution to this issue?

On a related note, I was initially searching for posts involving an issue where some doors or windows simply won't accept data tags (in other words, they won't recognize any door or window data, and therefore won't light up red) when using data tag in the annotation layer of a section viewport. It's a small percentage, but it's causing the overall data tag workflow to fall short. Any tips, or general rules on what might cause some doors and windows to not accept data tags, when neighboring doors and windows (with the same style) work just fine? It seems random to me.

Thanks,

Matt

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I believe the Data Tags going blank have to do with using the Clip tool on viewports to adjust their crops.  Any chance that tool was used on the files you're seeing the issue in?  This problem (with the Clip tool) is related to a similar issue we recently tracked down and fixed related to the Smart Markers disappearing or unlinking from their viewports.  In my testing, I found the fix for that bug seems to also fix the Data Tag problem except for the case where the Clip tool is used to split a viewport into multiple viewports.

out of the blue my tags selectively stopped working, I have been using them without a problem for a long time, now I annotated viewport with tags, after some changes wanted to add tags and nothing works, existing tags display data but are not linked anymore.  I made a duplicate  viewport in the same file and tags work on the same objets, then again all links lost after some work, could not retrace steps.  Tags in deign layer link properly, so viewports cause problems.