Can I Change Sheet Size and Title Block without Re-Entering all Sheet Info?

NHJ

Question

Is there any way I can go from Arch C to Arch D Size Sheet on a project, thereby changing to our Arch D Size Custom Title Block, and not have to re-enter each Sheets Title Data from scratch? DD was on Arch C Size set of 15 sheets and I have all the information entered for each sheet. The data is not changing just the graphic size of the title block.

Why is the Sheet Data not Assigned to the Sheet Layer directly per sheet regardless of size? 

Am I missing something simple to not have to re-enter 15 sheets worth of Sheet Title Block information just because the graphics of the title block are getting larger?

The client is adding services (which is great, they are trusting us and it means more $) so we are upping the sheet sizes are going from Arch C to Arch D to accommodate the request and additional schedules and reports being requested. Curious if I am missing something.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Nexus

7 answers to this question

How are you doing the title blocks? Are you using the Title Block Border object? Or are you using home made symbols and text blocks? I you are using the TBB and the different title block are set up using the same basic field names and record format, you should be able to Replace the TBB Style and keep the data. 

Or perhaps you just need to edit the TBB Style settings to let it work on different sheet sizes and let you adjust the Title Block scaling factor to make it the size you want.

• Like 2

Andy,

I will try that later on today. The record formats are the same, so it should transfer, I hope. Thanks, I will let you know if it works.

Pat,

I created Custom Title Block Border Objects and created custom records for each. The records each contain the same data, the graphic symbols are different for each sheet size. I thought about just scaling it, but not sure if the appearance will hold.

Gonna test out these options and a few others, because my basic process is that I go from 11x17 in prelim/SD, to Arch C for DD, and usually Arch D ends up happening in the CD phases, so I need to spend bit of time smoothing out the transitions and being able to build on all the data as the project progresses. Doing this twice hurts me. lol

I will let you know what I find out. Thank you both for the thoughts.

Actually Pat's method makes more sense if you've set up your Title Block Borders with the current TBB tool as designed. I was overthinking it 😄

Just use the "Style" dropdown to switch from your current style [which you've set up for one size] to another style [which you've set up for another size]. This is assuming that because of your specific title block you can't use the Scale Factor to simply make it smaller.

For anyone looking to set up TBB Styles, this page might be helpful.

• Like 1

If I am reading what you did correctly, then it is the fact that you created different custom records that is the problem. You should be able to use a single record format. Then when you change the TBB Style it will keep all of the record information and just change the display. If you change to a different Record Format, you can lose data.

• Like 1

Pat,

Yep. As I was thinking this through I was wondering if that might be it. I did create separate record formats for each paper size so every time I was importing the next size title block it added the new record format for the data and was erasing the previous sheet data, basically started it over.

Ok I will use a single record format for all the various title block sheet sizes. Then make each sheet size type 11x17, Arch C, and Arch D a separate TBB style but the record for each style will be a singular record format.

It just will have its different graphic representations based on paper size. Now it's all starting to make more sense. 

FYI when I do this Andy I am going to see if I can transfer the Sheet record data with the eye dropper as well to the new single record format. So hopefully I wont have to enter the data a third time ughh, I will let you know if that works.Thank you both!

Edited by Nick Jon

Pat, 

Got it all to work as you said. Single Record for each Sheet Size. Different Graphic for each Sheet Size, but all using data from a single record (source) per sheet. Set up a different Style per sheet size. 11x17, Arch C, Arch D. But they all are referencing the same data record. Worked easy. Go figure! Lol, thank you.

Andy.

Eye Dropper Tool does work if you copy and paste 2 title block borders onto the sheet. The old one containing the sheet data and the new one (this time constructed properly, but with no sheet data because different attached record format) but I used the eye dropper to transfer the old sheet's record format data. It worked fine except for the Project Title, for some reason. But thats an easy fix because the Project Title Data is a single entry and it then applies to all the sheets in the documentation.

Thanks again! 

I now have a set of title blocks that change and grow as the details within the scope of work on the project does the same. Which is what I was hoping for/thought I had made, but user error had me attempting to over complicate it, go figure.

Edited by Nick Jon
  • Like 1