Vectorworks and dual G5?

Hugo

Anybody here has experience with Vectorworks and a dual G5? I am thinking on upgrading, actually using a G4 iBook which runs fast until 3D and Artlantis. I am actually modelling and rendering a big project and want more speed. I know actually VW except Renderworks do not take advantage of dual processors but I think future versions will, or not? Or will VW take advantage of a dual core processor, in the case Apple releases dual core PowerPC G5 CPUs?

Thank you!

Cipes,

Thank you. I am asking all this because I need a fast computer and definitely I prefer Macs to PCs in overall experience, lack of viruses, better user interface, better files organization, etc. But this afternoon I've been rendering in both my G4 iBook and a 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 with XP and the PC is more than twice faster than my iBook in some tasks. How does a dual G5 compare against a 3.2 Ghz P4 in Vectorworks, Artlantis, and CAD and rendering in general?

Zooming and panning, for example, are generally much faster on PCs, even in old PIII with only 700 Mhz. Will a G5 pan and zoom instantly as I need? Autocad seems to run very fast on a PC (independant it is easy or difficult to use). I really need that speed in Vectorworks.

Hugo, I upgraded from a G4 867MHz Powerbook to a dual G5 2Mhz. I tested both on FQ Renderworks and Hidden Line Renders. The G5 ran 330% faster. Most of this improvement would come down to clock speed alone, plus a bit of difference between G4 and G5, so I'm not sure how well VW takes advantage of dual processors. Other apps such as photoshop seem to do this well. Still, in your case, I suspect you will see other improvements such as in panning and scrolling because the G5 has a better video card than the ibook - which also compares poorer compared to a powerbook. Maybe it was the difference in the video cards you were really observing when comparing between you ibook and a PC?

Originally posted by Hugo:

How does a dual G5 compare against a 3.2 Ghz P4 in Vectorworks, Artlantis, and CAD and rendering in general?QUOTE]

Hi Hugo

Let me state straight away I have no desire to create a stupid platform war type posting episode regarding Vectorworks performance but I'm only stating what I see with my two set ups, at home and at work to answer your question, and in the hope that something will happen soon about VW's performance on the Mac.

Home set up - Sony Vaio Desktop machine with P4 3.2 Processor with 1.5 gb ram. ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card with 128mb ram.

Cost a year ago ?800 machine + ?100 for additional ram. Running Vectorworks 10.5 on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack One

Office set up - Apple Dual 2ghz G5 Tower machine with 1.5 gb of ram. ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card with 128 mb of ram.

Cost two months ago ?1349 machine + ?105 ram. Running Vectorworks 11.5 on Tiger latest version, fully updated.

My home computer is easily as fast as my office Mac in Vectorworks and most other programs, Artlantis, Photoshop.

So if you want to stay on a Mac, which I don't argue against, you'll pay more than the equivalent speed Windows machine for the hardware, and maybe find that in certain tasks a Windows machine, at this moment in time, is still faster in VW.

But with the slowness issue on Macs being voiced loudly on this forum I'm sure Nemetschek are looking seriously into this and I'm sure it will get better in time.

I'd suggest a minimum of 1.5 gb of ram in whatever you choose.

If you need to trim your budget, look at refurbs available from Apple or other dealers, we have several in the UK. Maybe if you're buying a new monitor this could be a place to make a saving, but don't go too cheap/nasty.

The new Apple G5's have DVI connection, so try to get a monitor with that connection first, assuming your going TFT.

Alan

I recently did a training course at HQ in Maryland. As a Mac snob, I brought my own G5 1.8 dual 1gig ram to the training (they only have PCs there) During most of the training, I noticed a slight speed advantage with my Mac, but during intensive rendering, my Mac was ALOT faster then the PCs. The instructor noticed it aswell. As a dual processor cpu, you can see the 2 rendering lines corresponding to each processor working to complete the drawing. This observation is not 'scientific' but at least made my feel better about my mac's performance.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

John

John,

Thank you very much for your input. How does VW behave in a G5 when rotating a complex 3D model, in wireframe mode, or in Open GL mode? How much does it take to re-render? In my iBook, and in most Macs I have used, I also notice a small delay in the screen when panning through a drawing, specially if the drawing has many lines and objects. This delay gets dramatic when working with a DWG file imported from Autocad. When I have used PCs with Autocad, zooming and panning is instantaneous, even in old computers. Is VW absolutely snappy in a dual G5?

Thank you,

Hugo

I now have the 2.3 G5 and chose to order the X850 video card with it. The computer is definately faster. However there are video issues.

One issue is that the screen will become pixelated, similar to how peoples faces are blocked out on TV with a large pixel mask. The computer becomes unusable and I have to restart.

Another issue is Open GL performance. The image will distort and become unusable at times.

Apple sent me a replacement card, but that was not the solution.

As a designer working on a coffee mill design ( buildings and machines) I have been working with someone who is on PC notebook with the latest autocad. I was impressed with how fast things rendered and the slick zooming pans from one view to another. I wasn't impressed with his lack of keyboard shortcuts or speed of procedures to change the drawings. (which may be more due to technique than the software) When we imported DWG files to my Mac powerbook G4 It was demoralizing to see how slowly things rendered. However, I think that may be an issue with the file translation as when I checked opject info pallet, there were an unbelievable number of objects in the file. I am doing some pretty heavy stuff ( to me) and my system works pretty well. It renders Open GL faster than wireframe.

Hi Hugo,

I'm not an expert or seasoned user of VW, but from my limited experience, it's extremely fast. Now, comparing an iBook or G4 to a dual G5 is not fair. The dual processors in a G5 are well used in intensive rendering etc. Others with more experience can chime in also.

BTW, I bought my G5 1.8 dual computer and 20" display in Dec. Display was 1,300, now it's 800. CPU is now 2.0Ghz and updated at the same price 1999. If you go to a 2.7ghz cpu, you'll scream through your renderings.

Take care,

John