Help - Doors do not show up in elevation viewports

ilimatiare

Question

I'm not sure what's happening but my doors will not show up in elevation viewports with 2020. I am on a trial version and I don't understand what could be happening. I've looked at all the classes, etc. everything is turned on. If I go from the viewport and right click to edit the design layer the doors show up in the design layer with all the glazing details, etc. but they will not show up in the Viewport... Any tips for me? I need to print this ASAP! attached are screen shots of the design layer vs. the viewport - all visibilities the same...

I'm on Mac OS 10.11.6

851521180_Screenshot2020-01-2212_47_42.thumb.png.efba937dc524d1c9a5b5e55e55ad9ba4.png745451136_Screenshot2020-01-2212_47_27.thumb.png.88df3acdc73f61b531359daef20744db.png

9 answers to this question

Also, Viewports have their own class and layer visibility settings that are controlled from the Object Info Palette. If you created the viewport before you inserted and doors, then the classes the doors are in will be set to invisible in the Viewport. You will need to click the Classes button in the OIP and turn the required classes on.

By default, newly added layers and classes are set to invisible in already created Viewports. That way you don't have to edit a viewport that you had set up exactly the way you wanted. But you do have to edit Viewports that need to show the new information.

I believe there is actually an option to make new object visible or grey in existing Viewports.

You can also see/edit the class & layer visibilities from the Organization Palette. Select the Viewport pane and then click the Visbilities button at the Top Right of the window.

• Like 1

Thank you Pat - I have checked ALL of this...I've been on VW for many years and am used to the visibility of viewports, etc. All of the layers and classes are turned on in the viewport. I've even deleted one of the doors and recreated them to see if this might change anything but it didn't seem to.

I do see a click box for "hidden Object display" in the object info pallet but I don't know what this is for nor do I think it would make the glazing in the doors disappear?

The class visibility in the design layer is exactly the same as the class visibility in the VP - I'm stumped... Going to export the file back to my 2016 version and see if it shows up correctly there I guess...

If anyone has an explanation/idea for this I'd love to hear it. This has happened in all of my files so far with 2020... I've emailed tech support but no response yet.

UPDATE: I EXPORTED TO 2016 AND INITIALLY IT LOOKED THE SAME - CHANGED THE CLASS OF THE GLAZING ELEMENTS (LAST 3 ON LIST) IN THE DOOR-> SETTINGS->CLASSES TAB TO THE SAME CLASS AS THE DOOR AND THEY FINALLY SHOWED UP IN THE VP IN 2016... TRIED THE EXACT SAME THING IN THE EXACT SAME FILE IN 2020 AND IT DIDN'T WORK

Edited by ilimatiare

Try in your VP OIP to turn on ALL your classes and see if they show. Maybe the objects are in a group which is classed differently and the group container class is off?

If that doesn't work could it be the doors have symbols with detail level settings? Try turning on detail level to high in the VP OIP.

If that doesn't work then I have noticed the navigation graphics making odd things happen. Try toggling these are around.

image.thumb.png.1bb3c207a55510ae42ffd1e3f98ad584.png

Boh!! you're a life saver - that did it!! I turned the detail level to high and all of a sudden My doors appear!!! I guess glazing is considered by 2020 to be a "high" level detail object?

What is this OIP "detail level" toggle supposed to be for? faster rendering on low?

I have been a dinasaur and working off of 2016 for years - this doesn't seem to exist in the 2016 viewport OIP.

Edited by ilimatiare
  • Like 1

Yes detail levels are relatively new. My understanding is that you can have the same symbol giving different level of detail depending on what is required. A small scale viewport does not need a high level of detail for bathroom fittings for example.

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2019/eng/VW2019_Guide/Symbols/Customizing_Detail_Levels_for_2D_and_3D_Components_of_Symbol.htm

Edited by Boh

I had this same level of detail issue. When reading your original post I knew what your problem was right away. This level of detail feature creates a layer of complexity that needs a bit of work in my opinion. In this case it's a bad default setting.

Rather than set your viewport to high detail, alternatively you could edit your door style to uncheck this default option.

990864754_Screenshot2020-01-23at09_47_17.thumb.png.1194828e4b77db1691c79716ba8e5217.png

• Like 1