Transparency Shaders using object attribute colour

Anthony Neary

Question

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

curious how you see this affection g the transparency?

Right now we can use a single texture for things like glow textures, across multiple items, and the glow texture uses the object colour.  If we could do that with transparencies, you could have one glass texture and use it across multiple items and have the object colour affect the glass transparency colour.  Seems like a useful option.

On 1/20/2020 at 11:03 AM, Kevin Allen said:

While I think I understand, I still feel a bit confused. That said, I often wish there was a way to copy some settings from texture to texture, OR have a 'master' shader applied to multiple textures. Particularly true of transparency and bump

Right now, in a drawing, if I want green, red, and blue glass, I need to create separate green, red, and blue glass textures.  But I can use a single glow texture, apply it to ten different objects, give them a different object fill colour, and the glow texture for each object changes colour.

If I could have a single transparency texture and apply it to different objects, and have it use the object colour for the transparency, there are a number of things I can now do with that texture.  One of them would be to play around with using a transparency texture on a 'gel' object in front of a spotlight instrument, and my rendering might look more realistic than the glow texture, which has limitations in brightness capability.

So, I'm not sure and I haven't tested, but why couldn't you have a texture with the color shader set to object attributes and have the transparency as you like?

For the lens on a spotlight lighting device, that's set in the Spotlight Preferences.There must be a lens object, grouped with the body and the lens need a class with a texture (glow shader, object attributes, Cast Shadows turned off). In the spotlight prefs Modify lighting instrument color set to color field, and only the lens class. 

19 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

So, I'm not sure and I haven't tested, but why couldn't you have a texture with the color shader set to object attributes and have the transparency as you like?

For the lens on a spotlight lighting device, that's set in the Spotlight Preferences.There must be a lens object, grouped with the body and the lens need a class with a texture (glow shader, object attributes, Cast Shadows turned off). In the spotlight prefs Modify lighting instrument color set to color field, and only the lens class. 

Once you apply transparency the texture ignores the object colour and just uses the colour set in the transparency shader.

With the lens object using a glow texture, let's say you have a render where you're looking at the lens, the glow texture doesn't give that "staring at a light" effect.  If you turn the glow texture brightness up it mucks with the colour saturation, eventually just turning white.  You can muck around with a renderworks camera and go through the exposure etc, and try to balance all of the other lighting objects, but If I could put a really bright white glow texture "inside" the fixture, and have the lens object by a transparency, then my bright glow object would be coloured by the transparency and I solve my "not being able to turn up a glow texture brightness" issue.