Window looks different in component-based walls

I have one window whose attributes change depending on which wall I insert it into, and I can't figure out why:

391511588_ScreenShot2020-01-17at8_46_01AM.thumb.png.057acfba240be60a1a484e7e38d54bff.png

It's literally the same window... In the file below, if you drag and drop a window from one wall to the other you'll see it change.

WindowQuestion_v2020.vwx

I'd like the window to stay looking like the bottom window. The problem seems to be caused by component-based walls. Anyone have any insight?

Edited by Andy Broomell

I think it has just to do with your Classes.

If you change the Class of your Component Wall's Window,

it will change and take the look of the new Class.

Just set all related Class Options in your Window Settings.

So all parts of your Window will always look the way you want,

no matter where you insert them.

Edited by zoomer

Yes, I am controlling the attributes of the window with a class. But that's not my question - why does the same window on the same class look different when inserted into two different walls?

(And I know what you mean about going into settings and assigning classes to each part of the window, but this works unexpectedly as well, since the bottom of the jamb fills with the hatch in addition to the cut-through side jambs. Sort of like the upper window in my screenshot. It shouldn't work like this to begin with but that's another story.)

In the end I want a window that looks like the lower one in the image, regardless of where I insert it. How can I accomplish that without resorting the custom symbol geometry?

Interesting, I see you're using a Sill as a workaround to make the bottom jamb. I remember trying this once, but it introduces a new issue: having to always make the jamb depth match the wall thickness. I need to be able to drop this in to any wall and not have to worry about other settings. 

One solution introduces another problem 🤣

But you're right, it's close, and thank you!

Guest Wes Gardner

@Andy Broomell It's the ONLY way I know or the "real" sill takes on the poche/hatch/fill of the jamb...it's the way the "factory" builds its windows.

Sorry, it's a limitation of the current window.  You could style up a couple of windows that work with "all the popular wall thickness" 🙂

Wes

On 1/17/2020 at 12:27 PM, Wes Gardner said:

Sorry, it's a limitation of the current window. 

That's what I was assuming / afraid of. (Though I would still consider what's happening in my original post a bug.)

Looking forward to that new Window tool that I assume is in the pipeline by now 😉😉😉

Someday we'll be able to easily create windows that actually adhere to drafting standards, not to mention construction techniques.