Did you know...

Conrad P

Did you know... How to do Arrow connections between layers?

You select the Connect tool, choose Arrow mode, click on your source socket and you want to move to another layer. How?

2 ways:

Use the Navigation Palette - click in the active layer column to switch layers, or...

Use Cmd (Ctrl)-Arrow-Up/Down keys to move up and down the layer stack.

Either way it always helps to have the Nav Palette open so you can always see where you are going 🙂

Edited by Conrad P
  • Like 1

Did you know...

that ConnectCAD 2020 works nicely with Vectorworks Project Sharing? This is a happy by-product of our transition to Vectorworks SDK!

So when you have more than one designer working on your project, set it up for Project Sharing and you can all work together on the same file.

Give it a try!

• Like 1

Did you know...

that double-clicking with the Connect tool makes the "next connection"? Say you're connecting some sockets on device A to device B. You take the Connect tool and draw your first Circuit joining the topmost socket on A to the corresponding one on B. Your Circuit remains selected after creation - here's why. If you now want a similar shape of Circuit from the socket below, just double-click it.

This is the 2020 version of the old Connect Next command. And it's even better than before - it's smart about signal types too. So start double-clicking and save yourself time!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Did you know ...

that you can edit the Circuit > Cable Length parameter dropdown to have whatever values you want?

The default values are loaded for the file /Plug-Ins/connectCAD_Data/CableLengths.txt in the Vectorworks application folder. You can override this by putting a duplicate of the file in the corresponding user folder path and edit the file to your own needs.

• 3 weeks later...

You can add Signal and Connector types. Have a look in your user folder under Plug-ins/connectCAD_Data and you'll find the files SignalTypes.txt. and ConnectorTypes.txt. Questions:

- Where's the User Folder? Go to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences and select the UserFolders tab. You'll see where the user folder is in the dialog.

- Those files aren't in there - what now? Add the files attached to this post to get you started.

- OK got the files - how do I add my signals etc.? Open the files in a text editor. They are simple tab-separated text and the first row is a header showing what the columns do. Here's a picture. Just add as many rows like this as you need.

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 16.43.19.png

SignalTypes.txt ConnectorTypes.txt

• 4 months later...

On the data visualization note, You don't necessarily have to use a data tag to see an image of the device in your symbols. However it is a nice way for a different use case.

The cool thing about CC Symbols is that you can add images to them after they are created, and then save them as symbols to reuse.

To add an image, just doubleclick on your already created device on the drawing (just like when you want to edit connectors) and add your image. Just be aware of the location of the symbol template (in this example I use a custom dev_label_generic).

Exit out of the symbol, and then you can save as symbol to add to your resource library to use again.

Images.thumb.png.d3f2850cf2c62fef5fa94f4f18fdfa33.png

Edited by Kevin Krautle
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 1/21/2020 at 11:43 AM, Conrad P said:

Did you know...

how Connector Panel devices and Equipment Items work together in ConnectCAD 2020? Here's the definitive guide.

ConnectCAD 2020- Visualizing connector panels.pdf 2.25 MB · 118 downloads

If we create schematic devices from a panel only the input devices are created.
Any idea if there is coming an update to include outputs?

Thanks! 

Snap grid controls the size of ConnectCAD schematic objects like device and sockets.

this leaves you free to draw schematics at any scale. Event planners love this because they can draw directly on floor plans. So what's the catch?

If you want to customise the symbols used in sockets and device you need to be aware of the scaling. The easy way is to first set the snap grid to 4mm that way the scaling is 1:1. Do all your editing with this grid then when you are happy with the result set the snap grid to the value you want before you save your new template.

If you have existing symbols created on say 1/8" grid then you can use the Scale Objects with a scale factor of 4mm / 1/8" to adjust the content to a 4mm basis. Then set the snap grid to your favorite value.

Schematics in fact are Not to Scale drawings. The absolute size of objects doesn't matter provided the proportions and text sizes look right.

• 2 weeks later...

this is great to see that signalTypes are still modifiable.

i just noticed something in our 2016 install, however, that it seems there was a different set of columns in the file:

Signal    Prefix    Conn    R    G    B    LS    LW    Description

i know we do have customized signal type line colors - is this how this was implemented?  or ..?

thanks!

Hey Matt,

ConnectCAD has been steadily improving over the years !!!

All signal type coloring is now done using Vectorworks Classes. so for each signal type a class is created named Sys-Circuits-<sigtype>. You can edit all the attributes applied to your signal type by editing the class attributes. So "R    G    B    LS    LW    " are no longer relevant because the class takes care of all that - much better.

I'm pretty sure this is covered in the online help too. Our Tech Pubs team do a great job. But, if there is something missing please do let me know.

Conrad

• Like 1

Hi,

The online help does not go into great detail on this subject - see https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FConnectCAD%2FEditing_devices_and_sockets.htm

We say that "The ConnectCAD template contains sets of classes with names that clearly indicate their function. The classes can be edited to change the appearance, font style and color, etc. of various ConnectCAD objects for a customized look." If that's not detailed enough, I can add more information in the future.

FYI, I searched for "signal types" which got me to "Adding sockets, loops, and terminators" and from there I clicked on "Editing devices and sockets."

Alexandra

Manager, Technical Publications

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

This thread is drifting off-topic in a major way. Forums (or is the plural fora?) are notorious for being full of useful info that nobody can find.

This thread is for useful nuggets of information, how-to's etc. If you have something to contribute great. If you have a question start a new thread with a useful title.

Conrad

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...