Cutting in roof

vassen

Hello everyone...

1st point

Is there a way to cut a roof generated by vectorworks like we can do in Slab?

I want only some part of the roof?

Or do i have to create the surface with the extruded surface.

2nd point

Can we insert symbol in an extruded surface like we do in wall with windows?

6 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

You should be able to just draw a 2D object (poly, retangle, oval, circle, etc.) select the object and the Roof and do Clip Surface (or Add Surface) to make changes to a Roof or Roof Face.

VW does not allow you to insert symbols in anything other than Walls and Roofs.

Thanks Pat.

I have drawn a 2D retangle on the Roof top but it does not allow me to Clip surface

I created a roof. Drew the rectangle on the right. Selected the roof and the rectangle and did Clip Surface from the Modify menu. I then did the same on the left.

I then ungrouped to get Roof Faces and did the same with the circle on the top.   And then I Add Surface with an oval at the bottom.

I don't know what is up with your roof. Can you try a simple roof in a blank file like I did?

image.thumb.png.380b7a07749169434e909538d061bbdd.png

@Pat Stanford Thanks. This one work perfectly.

Example, if i have a roof of Height 800.

If i  want to cut at the height of the roof at 455 then will add another roof on top to get the right slope am looking for, are we able to do that?

There are two type of slope in my roof.

Attach you will see that i want to do with the roof.

In the attached images only the orange part was generated automatically. The roof below is just a simple rectangle drawn at the slope angle i wanted.

Roof.png

Edited by vassen

I don't do a lot with roofs, but I think you can do this.

Make a roof that is VERRY tall using the slope of the vertical portions of the roof. Draw a clipping polygon that matches the outside of that roof at the desired height. Select roof and poly and do Clip Surface. You should now have a Roof with a whole in the middle the shape of the clipping polygon. 

Use the clipping polygon to create a second roof to fill the hole.

It will take some trial and error, but I think it will work.

• Like 1

Another option to get the same as @Pat Stanford described could be to first generate the roof part with a sloped extruded to the desired height. Then extract the top face to create the polygon for the 2nd roof part extrude with a different slope.

Then add both volumes to create a single volume and then shell solid to create the roof thickness you want and have the inner part hollow.

12 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

I don't do a lot with roofs, but I think you can do this.

Make a roof that is VERRY tall using the slope of the vertical portions of the roof. Draw a clipping polygon that matches the outside of that roof at the desired height. Select roof and poly and do Clip Surface. You should now have a Roof with a whole in the middle the shape of the clipping polygon. 

Use the clipping polygon to create a second roof to fill the hole.

It will take some trial and error, but I think it will work.

@Pat Stanford i have done the same thing but vectorwork deleted the whole things when i try to cut the roof

It works for me. In the attached movie I cheated. I have already created the inner polygon that hits the outside of the roof at approximately 15 feet. I created that poly by drawing a couple of large rectangles, One for the main building and one for the bump out. I moved them up 15-feet and then in Left/Right/Front/Back mode I adjusted the edges to match the outside surface of the roof.

Here are the basic steps I did.

1. Created the two polygons.

2. Selected the outside polygon and Create Roof with a slope of 80°.

3. Switch to Top/Plan View.

4. Send the Roof to the Back.

5. Select the Roof and the inner Polygon.

6. Clip Surface.

7. With the inner polygon still Selected I Create Roof with s slope of 15°.

8. Switch to Left Isometric View

9. Add Texture to both roofs and render in OpenGL.

Note the inside of the lower roof is incorrect. I can't find a way to keep it a roof and have a horizontal cut at the top. So there is a vertical cut on the inside that removes too much until it exits the thickness of the roof.  For an external model this is not too bad. If you really need the model correct you will probably have to use the Split tool and deal with the lower section not being a roof but rather a CGS Solid.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • 2 years later...
14 hours ago, jmhanby said:

I am trying to cut a roof.  I ungrouped the roof so my hatch pattern would show.  When trying to cut the roof face, it won't cut.  So I grouped the faces back together, then I get an "Illegal object(s) selected." error.  What am I doing wrong?

You can't use the Clip Surface command on a Group. And you shouldn't need to Ungroup your Roof or Roof Face to have it display a Hatch in Top/Plan. You can either apply the Hatch via the Roof container class or if the Roof is Unstyled you can apply the Hatch via the Attributes Palette on an object by object basis.

So I redid the roof and was able to cut the rectangle on the left.  When I don't ungroup the roof the pattern shows all over the roof and I only want the pattern on top so I ungroup the roof for the pattern only shows on the top.  This turns the 4 sides into roof faces.  When I try to clip the roof faces on the rectangle in the middle, it clips the rectangle and not the roof.  I am in top/plan view.

Edit: I just reshaped the roof faces to get the clip I needed.

Screenshot 2022-12-01 100157.png

Edited by jmhanby