2020 Graphics Lag issue

Hi Everyone, 

My company recently updated from 2019 to 2020. I operate Vectorworks on an HP Spectre laptop. I didn't seem to have any issues until a dialog box popped up and said my graphics card is out of date. I adjusted my AMD Graphics Card settings to "High Performance" and did a driver update. (Which we had to do for 2019)

Now when I use the program, it has a horrible lag that makes working in large documents extremely difficult since I have to wait up to 30 seconds just to select something. 

Is there a way to fix this so there is no lag?

• 3 months later...

Sort of. 

I had our IT department adjust more of the graphics settings on the computer itself. (I really don't know what exactly) I also usually use another monitor while drafting so they had to adjust those settings as well. I still have lagging issues if the file size gets too large but it's at least at a point where I can use it. From my discussions with IT, they mentioned that the 2020 version is using more graphics settings then they have in the past and that my laptop (or really any laptop) normally doesn't have a powerful enough graphic card to run it seamlessly.

Guest Wes Gardner

@Victoria2M. I'm not a programmer or tech geek, just a user but I believe that is the direction all software is heading with all of these "real time" rendering engines coming online - graphics cards are where it's at - the REALLY cool ones are liquid cooled and you're right, won't fit in a laptop

This you might want to check and see if it makes a difference - in Vectorworks Preferences, in the Navigation Graphics drop-down, choose "Good Performance and Compatibility" and then try "Best Performance"

Wes

@Wes Gardner With these software's moving towards these "real time" rendering engines, what does that mean for us laptop users? My entire team at our company uses laptops for Vectorworks because of how often we need to be on job sites. We're slowing trying to incorporate more rendering into our design process but if this is the direction the software is moving, I'm not sure we'll have the capabilities to do that. 

What would you recommend for laptop users who are looking to work with renderings but are having these issues?

Guest Wes Gardner

@Victoria2M, since you're on a PC, you may want to have a look at Lumion or Enscape - they are PC only "real time" renderers.  TwinMotion is cross platform.  They probably have recommendations on their sites as to what i needed.  I don't think you need extreme power, just a mid-level laptop will do.

For the real intense renderings, you may want to consider ONE high-powered rendering machine in the office.  For Renderworks, the number of cores seems to make a difference I believe.

We have an Alienware laptop in the office that runs Enscape and Lumion just fine...it's not a high-end machine.

Wes