Hi guys,

I am trying to trace over this plan using bitmap (this is actually my first time doing this) I need to red-draw the plan at scale 1:50 which is now to scale.

I have uploaded the PDF and re-scaled to size. So far so good. Now I tried to go to Modify --> Trace Bitmap and this pop up comes up  "A Bitmap object must be selected".

Can you please help why I am doing wrong? 

Thank you for your help.

Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 22.23.05.png

Edited by Julian78

I have then selected modify --> Trace Bitmap ( using the bitmap file as above) --> The pop up box is set to 4 and medium. And then it seems the computer starts struggling (or worse crashes) and I get these crazy lines all over with no snap points.

Does anyone know why?  Or is there any alternative to get those snap points to I can trace over some of the plan?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 09.01.20.png

On 1/16/2020 at 7:47 AM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- The tool is just a demo and it is still not certain if it will be released in any of the future versions or not.

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov Upon further review...

While the conversion is better with fewer anomalies, for the most part, this type of conversion for raster PDF files is not much use.

None of the lines are really usable.

Perhaps there is another solution in the works in lieu of the enhanced Trace Bitmap?

PDF PLAN Original.jpg

PDF PLAN Convert.jpg

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, DBruhnke said:

Perhaps there is another solution in the works in lieu of the enhanced Trace Bitmap?

Hello @DBruhnke,

I am sorry to hear that the provided example did not help.

I do not know of any other way to get better results.

You could ungroup the result from the file I have sent you and delete the parts that you do not need, such as texts.

Better results could be given with a clearer scheme with higher quality and maybe less details.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

22 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

I do not know of any other way to get better results.

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov The trace bitmap is perhaps helpful for logos or non technical drawings.

For linework on a plan, elevation or detail, something like Scan2CAD capabilities would be amazing.

Not tracing the outside of the lines but creating the lines themselves.

https://www.scan2cad.com/

While nowhere near perfect, this software has the ability to "convert" a line instead of "tracing" both sides.

#JusSayin

Untitled.png

Untitled.dwg