Fixture rotation not quite right and a quick question about Gobos...

Hi folks, so I'm really getting on with this quite well. I've created my first piece and sent to the client (recorded from my phone camera from the screen as I needed to have the music on it as well) and they're impressed! So am I 🙂 I've been told I've also got a bunch of Chauvet Colorbattens to play with so these are going as a row along the base of the Cyc but I'm also going to stand some vertically to break up the space a little. I don't seem to be able to rotate them on the correct plane however. Rotate y and z both work on the same plane but in opposite directions so they won't go vertical. I can still program the show like this but am I just missing a check box somewhere?

Gobos - I have quite a few units (etc lustr 15-30s and some Strand SL's) that have some breakups in them. Although they both have a tab in the Properties section it seems to be inactive. Is it possible to place a gobo in these fixtures? 

I've looked through the help sections but I'm still not quite used to navigating the system so any help is really appreciated.

Matt

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 1/11/2020 at 7:27 AM, Monkeypuzzle said:

I don't seem to be able to rotate them on the correct plane however. Rotate y and z both work on the same plane but in opposite directions so they won't go vertical.

You should be able to rotate this fixtures via the Vision Properties Window. A new feature was added for Vision 2020 that should be familiar to VW users; the Rotate 3D Menu Command! Perhaps, give this a shot and see how it works for you 😉

On 1/11/2020 at 7:27 AM, Monkeypuzzle said:

Is it possible to place a gobo in these fixtures?

Sometimes with Vision (in regards to conventionals), you have to assign the Gobo to the second slot instead of the first. If you continue running into issues, try launching the Software Console window with one of your fixtures selected. Tweak some of these sliders, and hopefully you'll get to your desired look!

Cheers, That's really appreciated, I found the glitch and it was certainly my fault, I had the x axis rotated 90* so everything was out. I did initially have a play with the rotate 3d option and whilst the light moved, after wiggling it around a bit, I stopped and not a single part of the light lined up, the clamp was over here, the feet were over there and I couldn't seem to get it to line up with the plane I wanted. The attached pic shows one after playing with rotate 3d and then setting all the rotate parameters to the same as its neighbour.

As for gobos. I can't seem to find where I would select them... sorry, me just being blind I reckon. In the properties window there's an arrow just before the "Colour Wheels" option which allows me access to the gels. For all the generics in my model (etc 15-30 led and tungsten and Strand SL's) there is no arrow next to "Gobo Wheels" text.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 17.46.44.png

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I stopped and not a single part of the light lined up

I've had users report this in the past, but I was never quite able to reproduce the issue or figure out what is going on. Would you mind attaching your vwx/mvr/esc/v3s? I'll see what I can figure out 😉

1 hour ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

there is no arrow next to "Gobo Wheels" text

It sounds like it may be that our content doesn't support gobos in these fixtures? Perhaps, @Mark Eli can chime in.