New shortcut for Flyover tool

ccsw

Question

Hi, the shortcut key of CONTROL+MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON for temporarily invoking the FLYOVER TOOL is not functioning well for me. The Apple magic mouse does not have a middle mouse button and the middle mouse button is not reliable to press on standard mice without accidentally scrolling. 

Could a similar shortcut as in Cinema 4D be used, such as OPTION+LEFT CLICK to invoke the flyover tool temporarily? It would be very helpful to be able to use the flyover tool without exiting the current tool. Alternatively if we were able to customize this shortcut in the Workspace manager that would be even better. Thanks

• Like 3

5 answers to this question

It would be really nice to have movement like Maya and Cinema 4D and the Substance Suite where you can rotate, zoom, and pan all with the mouse and alt key. I have a 3dconnexion mouse but it isn't super great for modeling, but is good for walkthroughs. The flyover tool always takes a second to respond as well and always rotates at a weird point.

• Like 2

Yes, all the the basic Nav, selection, transform tools need a major overhaul. Many  require clicking a button or 2-handed shortcuts. I hated at first but am now really getting used to and starting to like the MMB orbit (flyover) and Shift+MMB for pan that is common in many other programs. The Space-bar pan (sort of) is good fro me because I spend a lot of time in Photoshop but I'd be willing to give that up to something else to help Nav/Transform get easier. 

@ccsw I know those Apple mice are sexy on the desk but I don't know how I'd get as much done without my 9-button (I guess, gaming) mouse. I have buttons mapped to Alt, Shift, Tab, X and Crtl, as well as one for flyover and undo. I'm a terrible typist so I love not having to constantly look at the keyboard to see where my hands are, but instead just change my grip on the mouse. I don't know how many, if any of those mice are compatible with Macs. Stuff like that is the reason I switch to PC years ago--before Apple got cool and took over the planet, of course. My mac days are why I ended up as a VW user in the first place. 

On 1/10/2020 at 3:05 PM, Tanner Shelton said:

It would be really nice to have movement like Maya and Cinema 4D and the Substance Suite where you can rotate, zoom, and pan all with the mouse and alt key. I have a 3dconnexion mouse but it isn't super great for modeling, but is good for walkthroughs. The flyover tool always takes a second to respond as well and always rotates at a weird point.

I so agree. I love the smoothness of Maya navigation.

I'm a tablet pen input guy too and Maya with a wacom is flawless.