Frances

I have Vectorworks fundamentals. I've been trying to reference in viewports to design layers but have been made aware that it is not possible to do this in Fundamentals.  I have recently found a tutorial 'Referencing External Files with Vectorworks' which was recommended for all users including Fundamentals.  I thought I had found a solution, unfortunately the recommended route within the tutorial is to reference in the files is with Viewports - this is not available for fundamental users.  The only option is the older Layer Import for references, which is not covered in the tutorial.  

Can anyone direct me to a tutorial on how to use the layer important function to reference in external files?

Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to reference in an external file to Vectorworks fundamentals.  I'd like to find a way of doing this without upgrading to one of the designer packages.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Frances

Guest Wes Gardner

@Frances, the Reference tab in the Organization Palette lets you select what kind of reference when you choose the "Settings" button.  It's been awhile since I've seen Fundamentals so I'm not sure what the limitations are.  In the image it's set up for Layer Import...you won't have the "Design layer viewport" option.

Then select the "New" button in the lower left and navigate to the source file that you want to reference layers from. You'll then get a screen (see below) where you can select the layers in the source file.  They will appear italicized in the target file

Wes

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.31.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 3.48.06 PM.png

Hi Wes,

Thanks for clarifying that.  It says that if I use the layer import I can't then go back to the viewports option. I am assuming this means just for the referencing.  I use viewports for sheet layers etc. so don't want to compromise that set up in the file that I am importing the reference layers into.

thanks again, Frances

Guest Wes Gardner

@Frances, yep I think you're right...I've not seen that warning...perhaps in the designer series you don't get the warning.  Your viewports should be unaffected.  Try the reference sequence and see what you get... you can just set up a couple of "dummy" files for practice.  The source file would need to have a a couple of layers such that the target file could "see" them.

Let me know if you have issues and we'll find a solution that works for you.

Wes

Hi Wes,

I have set up a set of test files and have managed to import reference layers to the target file.  I have managed to change an element in the file that is referenced (house A) and have seen the changes in the target file (site plan).  However I am having difficulty in moving the imported layers so that they line up with drawing in the Site Plan.  So for example, the House A file is drawn parallel to the walls and not to the relative North orientation. The Site Plan is orientated to the North Orientation.  When the House A layers are referenced in they are also at some distance away from the site plan drawing.  In viewports it is easy to more and orient the layers.  Is it possible to do this with the imported layers?  I've had a look on the Vectorworks help but don't seem to be able to find the answer. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, Frances