New problems outputting PDF files via Publish or Export

Matt Hunt

Question

I've been setting up drawings with multiple sheet layers since they were introduced years ago.  Using Page Setup, I use settings from a PDF "printer" I've used for years that allows custom page size options.  I've got a routine that has worked for over 5 years; maybe a decade even.  I then output them via the Publish command to PDF.  I have a standard setup for the options in the various Publish windows, which have also worked fine for years.

Now in VWX2020, I've been using the same process and getting weird results.  PDF's exported as "Letter" sized are coming out as 8.5"x11" drawings, on larger paper, like 9.5" x 24" wide.  Not standard paper sizes; nothing I've ever specified; but it could be the scaled size of the VWX window on my computer monitor desktop.  These files print fine, but viewing them in a PDF viewer doesn't work well. as the PDF viewer thinks the file is supposed to include all the unused white space outside the actual image.

I'm also seeing the PDF's clipped off, as visible on the VWX window on my monitor.

It's like instead of publishing the PDF per the specifications entered in Page Setup, VWX is now publishing screen shots.

Anybody else seeing this?

10-426 @ Crescents of 6-wide_v6.pdf 20-Rigging_v6.pdf Sheet layer publishing problem.vwx

• Like 2

12 answers to this question

Ack....It's not a VWX 2020 problem.  It's something with the file.  I tried exporting the file I was having trouble with back to VWX 2019, and opened it up in 2019.  Same problem.

I had to jump into another VWX 2020 file, which I also created, which is taking the Page Setup information and using it for Export and Publish to PDF.

As far as I can tell I've got the two files set up the same in Page Setup, and Publish, and Export.  Obviously there's something else going on in the file.  If I had time to mess around with this, I'd be delighted to do it.  But I'm on deadlines; that's always when these things happen.  I'll open a blank new file; copy everything over layer by layer, and go from there.

I'm having this problem, too. Everything from top to bottom is set to ARCH D, nothing outside page boundary, and when the PDF opens, the page size is different almost every time:

The following is a screen grab from Adobe Acrobat.. it should be 36 x 24. I've had different random values for this after trying to change some parameters, but never an even dimension corresponding to any standard defined page size.

image.thumb.png.b25f6e9a5129a8308034d6b767b6437d.png

On 1/9/2020 at 10:53 AM, Matt Hunt said:

I've been setting up drawings with multiple sheet layers since they were introduced years ago.  Using Page Setup, I use settings from a PDF "printer" I've used for years that allows custom page size options.  I've got a routine that has worked for over 5 years; maybe a decade even.  I then output them via the Publish command to PDF.  I have a standard setup for the options in the various Publish windows, which have also worked fine for years.

Now in VWX2020, I've been using the same process and getting weird results.  PDF's exported as "Letter" sized are coming out as 8.5"x11" drawings, on larger paper, like 9.5" x 24" wide.  Not standard paper sizes; nothing I've ever specified; but it could be the scaled size of the VWX window on my computer monitor desktop.  These files print fine, but viewing them in a PDF viewer doesn't work well. as the PDF viewer thinks the file is supposed to include all the unused white space outside the actual image.

I'm also seeing the PDF's clipped off, as visible on the VWX window on my monitor.

It's like instead of publishing the PDF per the specifications entered in Page Setup, VWX is now publishing screen shots.

Anybody else seeing this?

10-426 @ Crescents of 6-wide_v6.pdf 255 kB · 4 downloads 20-Rigging_v6.pdf 120.19 kB · 1 download Sheet layer publishing problem.vwx

@Matt Hunt did you discover a solution to this issue? We are seeing this as well when publishing through the Publish command to a set of PDF. The sheets are appearing as small sections. Not what was layed out on the Sheet.

This is happening on PC and Mac and appears to be an issue with the file, not the OS or version of Vectorworks

16 hours ago, Jacob@tangably.com said:

@Matt Hunt did you discover a solution to this issue? We are seeing this as well when publishing through the Publish command to a set of PDF. The sheets are appearing as small sections. Not what was layed out on the Sheet.

This is happening on PC and Mac and appears to be an issue with the file, not the OS or version of Vectorworks

HI, Jacob:  I never figured out what the problem was here.  I also concluded it had to do with the file.  My workaround was to open a new file, and copy over each layer individually from the old file; rebuild the viewports and sheet layers.  Painful but it worked and got me through the project.  I haven't seen a recurrence of the issue.

Seems from your "Saved Set" solution discovery that there was something in the PDF distiller internal to VWX?  There have always been pockets of weirdness in how VWX interacts with various printing software.  

@Matt Hunt Thank you for sharing your experience with this issue. We definitely have encountered weirdness in the publishing department over the decades with Vectorworks. Can be infuriating to discover on a deadline. We try to head this off by advising our teams to prepare their sets and test plot well before the deadline. We find it is often helpful to get the set lined as one of the first things in a new project. I quickly documented my experience with Saving a Set here: 

On 1/20/2023 at 8:44 AM, Industrial Event Services said:

Was there ever a fix for this?  Or a hidden setting?  The alleged "save a set" workaround does not make a difference.  Publish is using the on-screen zoom level instead of the sheet layer page setup as the PDF export boundary.  Having this problem in VWX2023.  Thought I would ask before spending the next few hours copying layers.

I am also having this same issue!

In the publish dialogue after you have placed the sheets you would like to publish into the right hand box select all the sheets (in right hand box) and then the 'publish to' options box will come up. In the options ensure you have "Export the whole printable area as one page" selected. Screenshots included. 

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 11.21.54 am Large.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 11.20.03 am Large.jpeg

• Like 1