Unexpected view clipping in 3d

Will

Question

14 answers to this question

Is there a way to refocus the clipping in a way? I know in Blender when you zoom in on something, sometimes the perspective is set weird in a way that it clips items up close, and to fix it, you just select the object and click "." which centers that object in view and adjusts the perspective. If something like that were in Vectorworks it would be very helpful. I'm not sure exactly how it works in Blender.

@Tamsin Slatter Thanks! Ideally, rather than making us interrupt our work to go and hunt down and delete the rogue bit of drawing, I think it should be an alert that says, "Some geometry is further than n km/miles from the internal origin. It will not been shown and cannot be snapped to during 3d operations"1 as a modal alert first time, then as a minor alert in the message bar bottom right subsequently every time the user switches to a 3d view. From then on any stuff too far away is just ignored by the vectorworks graphics module when working in 3d. Sometimes it is unavoidable to have some things which are too far away from the origin e.g site mapping information, but they are almost never things that would be relevant in 3d so when working in 3d they could just be ignored by the system.

1 Where n would be whatever your programers calculate as the maximum the graphics system can cope with.

• Like 1

I have this problem constantly.  We always have to share our work throughout development with civil engineers who need our work to be referenced with theirs and the internal origin of civil files can be very far away.  I have not been able to come up with a solution to this problem that works for us.  It's just a problem with Vectorworks that needs a solution.

• Like 1

Currently having this problem on a large site model.  I 'centered drawing on internal origin' and made sure there are no items really far away from internal origin to no avail.  The issue arises when you have civil files that are registered to a survey point far away from the internal origin of the file.   The problem with moving the work in a civil file is that doing so no longer allows for smooth file sharing between team members.  We have not been able to come up with a solution to this.  This is a serious and ongoing error in the program -  PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS.

Edited by lgoodkind
  • Like 2

Guys I think that I have solution to this :-)

When I was importing reference DWG file in VW, I have to choose units of source file. Mine was survey file in meters. Then confirmed import and VW automatically created Layer with imported geometry. But this layer had huuuge scale 1:50000. Seems to be due metres to milimetres conversion.

When I edit the layers scale to 1:50, all clipping issue is gone :-)

I can even reproduce this problem again when one layer with objects gets bigger scale, display issues is back. Then give it normal scale and all is good again. It also makes sense why it is only present in some of the files, because it is layer setting in this file.

So - check Your layers scales if there are some with huuuge scale compared to rest of layers and make it smaller. 

Hope Your issue is the same and this solves it ;-)

Tried it, doesn't work for me. Sometimes quitting and reopening vectorworks fixes it for a while, but on some projects it comes back really quickly.

On 8/31/2020 at 6:26 PM, Shneck said:

Guys I think that I have solution to this :-)

When I was importing reference DWG file in VW, I have to choose units of source file. Mine was survey file in meters. Then confirmed import and VW automatically created Layer with imported geometry. But this layer had huuuge scale 1:50000. Seems to be due metres to milimetres conversion.

When I edit the layers scale to 1:50, all clipping issue is gone 🙂

I can even reproduce this problem again when one layer with objects gets bigger scale, display issues is back. Then give it normal scale and all is good again. It also makes sense why it is only present in some of the files, because it is layer setting in this file.

So - check Your layers scales if there are some with huuuge scale compared to rest of layers and make it smaller. 

Hope Your issue is the same and this solves it 😉

On 6/6/2020 at 7:31 PM, lgoodkind said:

Currently having this problem on a large site model.  I 'centered drawing on internal origin' and made sure there are no items really far away from internal origin to no avail.  The issue arises when you have civil files that are registered to a survey point far away from the internal origin of the file.   The problem with moving the work in a civil file is that doing so no longer allows for smooth file sharing between team members.  We have not been able to come up with a solution to this.  This is a serious and ongoing error in the program -  PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS.

clipping.mov 85.32 MB · 2 downloads

On 8/22/2020 at 6:01 PM, Diego-Resuelvectorworks said:

I also have this problem, with site models I've tried several "workarounds" to no avail, any suggestions?

You can get around this by having a 'project zero' that is agreed upon. As landscape architects, we always work in World Coordinates, so here is a workflow for allowing smooth file sharing:

1. Set up your drawings in the correct WCS.

image.png.5f6da24013fa88fcd66637c25002221c.png

2. Set your user origin to match the coordinate system.

image.png.db5016aa3f96660d89360ef639f271e3.png

image.png.411be845a3223d7872a204f095caf961.png

3. Set your internal origin to the agreed or desired '0,0' for the project (somewhere nearby of course) by using the Geolocate tool.

image.png.f2bfcddfbc5823d56d8f69a09a9ce54e.png

4. You can then change your user origin (a.k.a. 0,0) to match the internal origin.

image.png.77eae1837c71210d5d6b83a554ff5d02.png 

image.png.03f4444c27f367645800909c012f9fe0.png

From this point, if you want to import files from engineers/landscape architects, you can change your user origin back to match that of the coordinate system. The same goes for exporting your files to engineers and related disciplines.

If you want your imports/exports to be relative to your 'project zero' then you switch your user origin back to match the internal origin.

• Like 3

Thanks for this, we already set up the agreed origin of the model, the 'site origin', to be as close as possible to the internal origin of the file, ideally smack in the middle of the building, and it doesn't affect wether the issue occurs or not. What does seem to affect it is the layer scale that the layers are set to. If you need to zoom right in on a detail, then you need a layer scale of 1:10 or something, but if you want  to see a whole 300x300m terrain model, you need a layer scale of 1:500 so you can work with appropriate sized text labels.