Snap-/Connectable Symbols

STA

Hello folks,

we use a modular wall frame system for trade fairs, simple backdrops or more advanced constructions.

We have 3d symbols for every size frame.

I'm wondering if it is possible to have symbols snap to each other like with the truss tools, so they will connect in the correct orientation.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany,

Sebastian

• STA changed the title to Snap-/Connectable Symbols

I don't think there is an automatic (or even semi-automatic) way to accomplish this in 3D. As far as I know it is all manually forced in the objects scripts.

The Parasolids engine that drives VW has the ability to use what are called 3D constraints that would help with issues like this (I want to do something similar for pipes and plumbing fittings), but have not yet been included into the VW interface.

My best work around is to edit the symbols to include 3D locus points at the point in the symbols that I want to snap and then make sure I grab and snap appropriately.

And a lot of checking all of the orthographic (Top/Front/Right/etc) views that I have gotten it right in all three axis.

That's somewhat I assumed, thank's for your answer!

I haven't used 3d locus points yet, maybe it's time to familiarize myself a little more...

As my case is more related to trussing, I might convert my frames into truss symbols and try it out.

The Truss Insertion tool is actually a custom tool designed specifically to insert truss in an intelligent way. You would have to code or commission the creation of a tool to do something similar.

@Pat Stanford's suggestion of using 3D loci is a good starting place, though. If you insert a locus point (2D or 3D) while editing a symbol definition, you can designate it a Master Snap in the OIP. This will give it precedence over all other snaps, allowing you to easily align one framing element to another at the correct connection point.