Migrating to a new admin account

I'm migrating everything from an admin login account to a new one because of some corruption. Vectorworks is not launching in the new one. The error message reads "One of the VectorWorks external resource files ("VW Resources", "VW Locale", or "VW Help Resources") cannot be opened, so the application cannot continue." The VW icon looks like an old VW app (exactly like my VW8 icon).

In fact, now that I've tried, VW is not launching in ANY of my other accounts, admin or managed. The only change was upgrading to Tiger 10.4.2.

Suggestions?

You need to log in as the Admin and then get info on the VW folder.

Set all the settings including the details to READ WRITE PERMISSIONS to all users/groups.

Also make sure the subfolders and subfiles are included.

I have changed permissions on the VW folder to Read & Write for everybody, and included all enclosing items. I have also repaired permissions.

I have five login accounts. Three admin, two managed. In the oldest admin VW launches fine (it has always launched okay). In the first managed account, it also launches okay. In the second managed account, it launches only after I type in my serial number as if I'm doing so for the first time. I had to reset the VW prefs for it, too. I haven't used that account for a while anyway.

In the other two admin accounts, VW does not launch. The error message now reads, "you cannot open the application 'VectorWorks' because it may be damaged or incomplete."

The original corruption is rearing its ugly head by evidence of a folder called "Recovered files" found in the trash after logging back in. The contents of the folder include things like "classes.nib.53" among other things.

Other suggestions?

Arch - The error message is indicative of a corrupted install or a corrupted preference file.

I would first try to delete the VW preference file in the user home folders. If that doesn't resolve the problem, reinstall.

Katie - still no workie.

Which pref to delete? I deleted Users>HOME>Library>Preferences>VectorWorks 11 Prefs. Is that correct? Logged out, logged back in, VW icon still looks like classic VW8. Double-clicking produces error, "you cannot open the application 'VectorWorks' because it may be damaged or incomplete.

I have memorized my serial number by now. You know how? Because I've reinstalled it NINE times. Each time is 11.0.1 from CD, then 11.5, then 11.5.1 in each of three admin accounts. Each install results in the OTHER accounts with VW not working. Same error message.

So now I have only one login account with VW working -- the primary admin account that I deem the super user, in which I have reset permissions with Terminal using:

sudo chown -R `id -u`:`id -g` /Users/`id -un`

See Apple Discussions on this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I should stop bragging about this wonderful Vectorworks software to my colleagues since it does indeed corrupt all my other login accounts. Mac OS 10.4.2 -- keep hoping for another change. It certainly precludes the employee using the same machine while I'm gone. Too bad.

I, too, am having this problem - OS X 10.4.2, VectorWorks 11.5.1 is installed under the admin account. Can't run it from a "managed user" account because the application is damaged or incomplete. The icon doesn't even look right. My first guess, before creating an account so I could reply to this message, was to set permissions - which I did. Also looked within the admin account for some files that I could copy to the user account, to no avail.

I had this problem, I finally everything to work after the following process: Trash every single VW preference and application file (in all accounts). Reinstall VW under the admin account, and then ensure permissions are OK for other users, and are copied across every file in the VW folder. Finally run disc utility and repair permissions. I think I avoided using VW in the admin account, going straight to the user account to use it for the first time - not sure if this makes a difference. in any case Vectorworks preferences will need to be re-set. NB some users have reported that VW runs faster if hardware acceleration and Vectorcaching is turned off.

Thank you both above for the confirmation. I was just about to pull my hair out slowly and deliberately with a sharply honed arch.

I'm so glad now I don't have to.

Too bad the install CD (the installer app itself) does not have an "uninstall" feature. I did, in fact, do everything that I can think of (as you mentioned, David)...

- dragged VW & prefs to trash, emptied trash

- reinstalled VW in admin acct (actually, did so in ALL accounts, with elusive results)

- reset permissions in all accts (with Terminal sudo command, nonetheless)

- ran Disk Utility and TechToolPro (from a boot drive!) and repaired disk and permissions and directories... the works

The only items I kept bringing back were the Template files, a workspace file and several custom plug-ins. I cannot imagine that they would have any affect.