T-shaped LED Wall

RonanR

Hello all,

Am I right to think that it is not possible to create a T-shaped LED wall that can display a single image?

It is possible to create 2 different LED walls and stack them, yes, but not one wall with some tiles missing in the corners to form a T?

See attached screenshot.

566406181_T-shapedLEDwall.thumb.png.d651f32d016283d4eaedaae53807c273.png

Yellow shows my workaround and what I'll end up using in my 3D model. Middle structure is two separate rectangular LED walls, but not much use to easily change the image and therefore illustrate different screen states to the client.

The 2D drawing shows what I'm trying to achieve using the LED Wall tool...

Vectorworks folk: if the above is correct and you can't create a (basic) custom shape for the LED wall, it would be great to update the LED Tool to real-world use: ability to curve tiles, ability to have custom shapes (or delete individual tiles, like you can with the seating layout tool) etc. LED backdrops are extensively used now in many different ways.

Thanks for any pointers if I've missed something here. I'm still learning VW...

Edited by RonanR
typo
  • Like 1

The simplest solution here is to create a polygon and map your images to it. Ideally you would make sure all your content (textures) are the same size so when you map the initial image to your surface you can then simply replace the image.

If you need to show various images in your renderings, then simply duplicate this surface multiple times and place each iteration on its own class. Then you can change images simply by toggling classes in various renders. Of course, you can also have the displays default to the class texture and swap images in the Nav palette. 

While having some additional functionality in the LED tool would be great, drawing polygons is pretty simple and easy enough to manipulate.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
On 1/8/2020 at 4:13 AM, RonanR said:

Am I right to think that it is not possible to create a T-shaped LED wall that can display a single image?

It is possible to create 2 different LED walls and stack them, yes, but not one wall with some tiles missing in the corners to form a T?

My workflow:  Treat VS4-LED/LED Screen instances as individual panels.  Build the wall.  Use a script I developed to map an image across the array.  Delete the panels I don't want.  While not as automated as you're probably seeking, doing that actually does work quite well.

On 1/9/2020 at 11:51 PM, scottmoore said:

The simplest solution here is to create a polygon and map your images to it. Ideally you would make sure all your content (textures) are the same size so when you map the initial image to your surface you can then simply replace the image.

If you need to show various images in your renderings, then simply duplicate this surface multiple times and place each iteration on its own class. Then you can change images simply by toggling classes in various renders. Of course, you can also have the displays default to the class texture and swap images in the Nav palette. 

While having some additional functionality in the LED tool would be great, drawing polygons is pretty simple and easy enough to manipulate.

I can confirm that this has worked well for me, so thanks for the tip.

@C. Andrew Dunning Can you share that script? I also admit that I’ve never worked with scripts before, so not entirely sure how to use it...

Thanks.

• Like 1

Another workflow that I sometime use is the following: 

use the LED Screen tool to create a screen large enough that your T-shape will fit into It. 

Map your texture the way you want it using the tool. 

then I ungroup the LED Screen. This will leave a Mesh with your texture and each tiles frame geometry. You can now delete the tiles you don’t need. Also you can edit the mesh and delete the parts of the mesh you don’t need. This leaves only the T-shape you need. 

Be aware that ungrouping the LED screen removes all of the tools functionality, leaving you with only the geometry. You may want to copy the base LED screen first. 

this is particularly a convenient workflow if you want your texture spread over multiple LED screens and you do not have the skills to script like Andrew.