Rotation of symbols in resource browser...

Hi all you knowledgable people...

Im a relative newly to VW after over 20 years in AutoCAD...however, Im enjoying the switch!

I have a question regarding symbols created in VW & their orientation in the resource browser. I have created a bunch of hybrid (2d/3d) symbols, but their orientation in the resource browser is not as they were created - 2 of the symbols are rotated by 90 degrees. This usually wouldn't be a problem, but Im now going down the road of transforming these symbols in to truss units, and this affects how they are inserted / joined to existing trusses...

Is there a way to rotate the symbol in the resource browser at all?

Ive attached a couple of screen grabs to show what I have...for instance, the 1.5Mtr section of truss was created as per the screen grab of the vw main screen - however, the resource browser shows it spun through 90 degrees..I can see no reason for this?

Many thanks for any pointers...

AntHall

Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 12.36.37.png

Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 12.38.08.png

Try this

Right-click on the symbol you want to alter and select Edit Symbol

Check the "Use the Edit View....." option

614099556_Screenshot2020-01-07at15_30_12.thumb.png.e7d596bac05f11d342bf8c3a9a5c240d.png

Assuming that the Truss is orientated horizontally like the others, then you should see what you saw in your edit window in the resource manager preview pane.

I hope that helps

Edited by markdd
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@anthall5 If you need any assistance making those symbols into fully functional truss symbols with auto connect please let me know.  I build and setup most of the truss that ships in the default content so I would be glad to answer any questions you have.  Those look like Litec truss which is also not included in the Vectorworks Service Select libraries if you are a member of this program.  I know that Litec is working on getting us the Braceworks data as well so at some point in the future you may be able to connect your custom symbols to a Braceworks cross section and have full functionality.

@JustinVH Thank you for the offer! Correct - Litec doesn't seem to be in any of the libraries (and I am a Service Select member). The straight trusses have been relatively simple to turn in to truss symbols, but the dado corner block is proving hugely frustrating trying to set the snap points! If you have any pointers for creating the dado Id be very grateful!

Cheers

AntHall

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@anthall5 Not a problem to help you.  Litec was released in the September and November 2019 updates to the Service Select libraries.  Most of their products are in the software now but still need the Braceworks data for calculations.  They can be found in the Service Select Libraries>Objects-Ent Truss>Litec folder and you can use those as a guide for setting your symbols up or modify them to your style.  The DADO connectors are in there as well to use as a guide.  They are setup just like corners but you have to make them X-Corners and so some crazy math.  You can DM me if after looking at the existing libraries you still need some help.  I have attached a screenshot of the Litec libraries in the RM for you.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.46.13 AM.png