Spotlight label legends: duplicating breaks them

SamIWas

Question

In VW2020 SP 2.1 on a mac,  whenever I duplicate a label legend, it breaks inside the label legend manager.  I can still arrange legend through editing the 2D components.   But if I choose the legend in the manager and try to edit the fields, the base symbol is blank and selecting it says "The resource list is empty".  When I cancel out of the window, there is a vector script error which says "Error on line=1: _1979  _1982  - Index outside array limits."

It appears that label legends can no longer be duplicated then modified.  This is a serious workflow issue for large files.

Edited by SamIWas

7 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Sebastiaan said:

I think in the meanwhile a workaround could be to duplicate them in the recourse manager in stead of in the legend manager. Could you try that? 

I have done it both ways.  The resource manager is where I duplicated them first, and found them broken.  So I tried from within the manager.  That also did not work.

8 minutes ago, SamIWas said:

I have done it both ways.  The resource manager is where I duplicated them first, and found them broken.  So I tried from within the manager.  That also did not work.

Ok that sucks, did you also report it to tech support? They can file the bug for you.

I heared more people with this issue where duplicating from the recourse manager did work. So your issue might be different?

On 1/9/2020 at 3:30 PM, klinzey said:

We believe this happens in some file contains more than about 10 Label Legends in the document.

You should see the fix in an upcoming service pack.

VB-167028

Well, I hope that service pack comes soon.  I'm in a different file now, and started creating label legends from scratch.  Once I got past that "about ten" limit, the new ones started failing.  2020 isn't going to be very useful if I can't put legends on my fixtures.

10 hours ago, SamIWas said:

Well, I hope that service pack comes soon.  I'm in a different file now, and started creating label legends from scratch.  Once I got past that "about ten" limit, the new ones started failing.  2020 isn't going to be very useful if I can't put legends on my fixtures.

hi @SamIWas

I wonder if this is a workaround:  

try to make the extra legends that you need in a blank file. Less than ten at a time. 

And then import those into the file you are working on. 

maybe that will keep them from breaking. 

6 hours ago, Sebastiaan said:

hi @SamIWas

I wonder if this is a workaround:  

try to make the extra legends that you need in a blank file. Less than ten at a time. 

And then import those into the file you are working on. 

maybe that will keep them from breaking. 

I will probably try that tonight.  I can make  the label legends fine.  It's editing their settings later that becomes an issue.  Luckily, this is not something I have to do very often.